Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How can I initialize my xd picture card?

I bought a xd picture card for my fujifilm finepix camera about a month ago and it was working fine until today that I transfered a couple of photos and then I put it back into the camera and it didnt work anymore, all it says is "card not initialized". I tried to format the xd card in the computer but it says it's written protected, any idea of what should I do?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks a lot!:thumbsup:

Re: How can I initialize my xd picture card?

Is it a 1GB card? If so use the camera to format it and don't try to read in in the computer any more.

There is a technology change between 512MB (and below) and 1GB XD cards. Some card readers can't read the 1GB cards in fact they corrupt them.

Charles

Talking Re: How can I initialize my xd picture card?

I tried that and it actually worked

Thanks a lot:thumbsup:

I have Fujifilm A 340 and have purchased an Olympic 1G Xd card. When inserted I get card not initalized. I would be happy to let the camera format the card, but my question is how?
    I have tried every thing.
    Lynn

I have a fujifilm XD 1gb card and it says to initialize it how do i do that?

Same problem with a Fujifilm A 330 and have an Olympic 1G Xd card. When inserted I get card not initalized. I format it (hourglass then done), try to take a picture and get "write error" msg.
    What to do to use this card?
    joe
    Last edited by wolfinthewind; 07-17-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by omega
    I bought a xd picture card for my fujifilm finepix camera about a month ago and it was working fine until today that I transfered a couple of photos and then I put it back into the camera and it didnt work anymore, all it says is "card not initialized". I tried to format the xd card in the computer but it says it's written protected, any idea of what should I do?

Hi I'm Vijesh from Mauritius
    I have a Fujifilm FInepix s5000
    I have my camera saying card not initialised too, after having formatted the card
    Any idea how to initialise a card?

Hi, I'm having similar problems with my Fujifilm S6500...

Having just got back from holiday I've been unable to download any images from my 1GB XD card, so I then read the manual :idea: and realised the card needed formating first...:blush2:
    Could anyone please tell me if there's any way of accessing the pictures? :cryin:

I've since bought another XD card, formated this one but have found I'm still unable to download photos to my Mac. The purchase of a Dazzle card reader hasn't helped either and now the camera is staying the card is not initalized....:mad2: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Talking Re: How can I initialize my xd picture card?

I too came back from vaction and was unable to access my photos due to initialize problem. After a long search I found "Art Plus Digital Photo Recovery". Bam - I retrieved all my photos with no hassel and for free. If you use, please consider sending them a few bucks as a courtesy.

anyer

XD card always turn to this kind of trouble,
    now i would prefer to cameras use normal more popular SD cards
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail:aureola:
    Is there any DECENT camera under 200$?:idea:

i did everything that this writer did but i didnt try and format it because i need to recover my pictures. will some help me please.. greatly appreciated.

I need help getting my XD card initialized. I have tried cleaning it. I downloaded all my photos to my computer. I am new to this site having some problems getting round here.
    Help please. Pat

[I have a Fuji film F440 camera, a friend took some photos off and now it is saying card needs to be initialized, how do I do this?
    Thanks
    Patty Marr

Hello

In case the problem is still current or for others the problem is going from non M type XD picture cards that come w/ the FUJI to the readily available M type. You cannot initialize the picture card untill you upgrade the firmware. Here is the url to get started.
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...oad/index.html

Do the upgrade in camera, format your existing non M type picture card. There are many serious obstacles and "traps" according to the manual if you use your PC. After you have successfully done this the reformat it to clear and reuse.

It is a fairly simple and straight forward procesdure. However the manual and instructions on site do not work seamlessly and make it much more frustrating than need be.

ARRRGH!

However once done, no more problems.

Ray

Hi,
    I had a similar problem with my Fuji FinePix S5500; nothing I tried 'in-camera' would allow me to reformat the xD Picture Card and every time I turned the camera on, I got the same error message - "card not initialised".

I have used the camera with the same xD card since purchased over 5 years ago without problem. I believe this issue was caused by uploading the images on the card to a Mac instead of the usual Windows PC.

This solution fixed the problem, allowing me to reformat the card...

Connect the camera to your PC using USB2 and turn the camera on so the PC detects the device. If you have images on the disc, it is a good idea to upload them to the PC (whether you choose to delete images after uploading or not, is up to you, but reformating will delete them anyway, so I do).

When the images have uploaded, go to START, go to Computer, click on Device then right-click and choose Format. From the new window that opens, choose Default settings then click OK... job done! Be patient while it reformats, the time it takes will vary according to disc capacity (mine was 134MB and took around 4 minutes).

Hope this sorts it for you; good luck!

Hi Guys,

Just bought a Finepix S5200 secondhand - good buy and went down to the local Cash converters to purchase a 512mb XD card, well got home and formatted the thing as there were pics on it from the previous owner...well long story cut short I then had the dreaded ' Card not initialised message'. Ok I panicked but hey then I sorted it, below is what I did:

1. Go to Start
    2. Control Panel
    3. Administrative Tools
    4. Computer Management
    5. Select the correct Volume for your XD Card (please, not your C: or other internal drive like D: )
    6. Right Click the volume and select Format
    7. An Format E: Volume Box will appear
    8. Choose the File system (FAT/FAT32)
    10.Tick the perform quick format box.
    11. Click OK.
    12. The XD card should now be Formatted ready for use...wuhhhh!!

Hope this works for anyone not wishing to recover pics but to save there XD cards for use.

Hey this is my 1st ever post so hope it's useful.

scapeDigital
    Last edited by scapeDigital; 01-15-2009 at 12:20 PM.

That helped! Thanks!

Excellent!

Hi

Still no luck! Any other ideas? Tried the first method with no avail. The second method I got as far as no 6 but there was no Format option???

I'm so not technology friendly and wish I never put it in my computer arrrhhhh.

Hi

I got it to work!!! I did the first method again and instead of accepting the settings given as FAT32 I changed it to FAT.

Simple when you know how!

Thanks
    x
    :thumbsup:

Hey good to see the XD format advice is still helpfull. nice! :aureola:

Hi

Had the exact same problem with a Fujifilm S304 camera, after a session of taking some shots I took the card out of the camera and put it into the card reader on my laptop....the usual automatic transfer to Live Photogallery did not happen, removed the card & reinserted it into the camera and got the dreaded red message......card unreadable in camera or laptop...tried the reformatting instructions...still got the message. As the pictures on the card were not that precious I thought I would try the delete all frames task...it worked...restored the usability of the card....so even though the card was reading empty on laptop and camera judging by the length of the delete they might still ave been on there...who knows! Trouble is....now I have lost trust in the card...maybe it could fail again and I will lose precious shots...new card needed...more expense..... thanks Fuji!!

Got a Fuji Finepix A340 Gettint same message Tried re-formatting initializing message disapeared after format. Took a foto and Write error appeared. Tried changing the FAT 32 to FAT. Still no luck.

See above.........

Quote Originally Posted by scapeDigital
    Hi Guys,

Just bought a Finepix S5200 secondhand - good buy and went down to the local Cash converters to purchase a 512mb XD card, well got home and formatted the thing as there were pics on it from the previous owner...well long story cut short I then had the dreaded ' Card not initialised message'. Ok I panicked but hey then I sorted it, below is what I did:

1. Go to Start
    2. Control Panel
    3. Administrative Tools
    4. Computer Management
    5. Select the correct Volume for your XD Card (please, not your C: or other internal drive like D: )
    6. Right Click the volume and select Format
    7. An Format E: Volume Box will appear
    8. Choose the File system (FAT/FAT32)
    10.Tick the perform quick format box.
    11. Click OK.
    12. The XD card should now be Formatted ready for use...wuhhhh!!

Hope this works for anyone not wishing to recover pics but to save there XD cards for use.

Hey this is my 1st ever post so hope it's useful.

scapeDigital
    :blush2:
    thank you so much!..funny windows 7 did it all for me.. but im glad for this instruction ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information