Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Higher the MP better???

Hi...
    I don't know much about cameras but I am planning on buying a digital camera for christmas to my gf. She already has a high quality reflex camera as far as I know, but it isn't a digital camera. She wants a digital camera in order to use it as a point and shoot which she can carry everywhere (cause the other one is too big in size), and also she wants to take pictures of the small sculptures and paintings which she makes, and then transfer them to the computer to work on them on photoshop for her portfolio.

What I knew was the more the MP the better so I found a camera, Norcent DC-1020, which is 10.1MP and also is $170...
    The specs for this camera is in the link
    http://www.norcent.net/main/product_...era&view=specs

Also when I started reading what people talk about in the forums I got really confused; for example I don't know what ISO is, and this camera has a max ISO 200 which people consider it to be low. But how much ISO do I need and even if I need it?

So will this camera do the job should I buy it or is there anything that you will recommend. (but please below $200)

Re: Higher the MP better???

I have never heard of the brand, but the spec sheet looks like it has all of the same features of most point and shoots. Megapixels (MP) does not always mean a better photo. It is the quality of the pixel that matters. The number of meagapixels help when it comes to making enlargements, but not a necessity.

ISO is a term carried over fromt he days of film. You will sometimes see it as ASA, but they are for the most part the same thing. ISO means the sensitivty of the film, or sensor to light. The higher the ISO the more sensitive to light it is, meaning that you can get a faster shutter speed, or smaller aperture (larger f/number). ISO is a small ISO when some other compacts will shoot at 800 or higher. The only drawback of high ISO is more noise, or graininess in prints. This will be more noticeable in a point and shoot, because of the small sensor.

I know some retailers are bundling a Canon A610 (7.1MP) and a Canon PIXMA 6700D photo printer for $250. This is a great camera and pretty good printer for the price. If you look around you will be able to find it with some rebates as well. Another camera that I think is impressive and over looked is the Panasonic Lumix LZ-3. Its 5.0 megapxels, but it has image stablization which is a gret feature to have. This camera will cost about $180 US, and you can get the LZ-5 for about $220 and it is 6.0 MP. I say stick to the major manufactuers, because they have better product support.

Happy Hunting, and I am getting my girlfriend a digital camera for Christmas, and will probably getting the Canon bundle, but only because that is the camera she has been eyeing for quite sometime, and we both need a new printer.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang
    Hi...
    I don't know much about cameras but I am planning on buying a digital camera for christmas to my gf. She already has a high quality reflex camera as far as I know, but it isn't a digital camera. She wants a digital camera in order to use it as a point and shoot which she can carry everywhere (cause the other one is too big in size), and also she wants to take pictures of the small sculptures and paintings which she makes, and then transfer them to the computer to work on them on photoshop for her portfolio.

What I knew was the more the MP the better so I found a camera, Norcent DC-1020, which is 10.1MP and also is $170...
    The specs for this camera is in the link
    http://www.norcent.net/main/product_...era&view=specs

Also when I started reading what people talk about in the forums I got really confused; for example I don't know what ISO is, and this camera has a max ISO 200 which people consider it to be low. But how much ISO do I need and even if I need it?

So will this camera do the job should I buy it or is there anything that you will recommend. (but please below $200)
    First of all, a 10 MP sensor for $170 is most likely noisey garbage. Norcent is not a major brand and I would be very suspect of the quality.

Stick with major brands: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, etc. These will cost more but the quality will be much higher.

Do not get caught up in the megapixel stuff, most of it is marketing hype. A good 4 -5 MP camera will be fantastic for her needs. In fact, 10 MP on a tiny sensor has a good chance of being worse. My Canon S400 4MP camera produces 11x14 prints that are very nice.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    ISO is a term carried over fromt he days of film. You will sometimes see it as ASA, but they are for the most part the same thing. ISO means the sensitivty of the film, or sensor to light. The higher the ISO the more sensitive to light it is, meaning that you can get a faster shutter speed, or smaller aperture (larger f/number). ISO is a small ISO when some other compacts will shoot at 800 or higher. The only drawback of high ISO is more noise, or graininess in prints. This will be more noticeable in a point and shoot, because of the small sensor.Z
    First of all I would like to thank everyone for their help

This is probably gonna sound too stupid but from what I understand it feels like when a picture is more grainy it isn't a good thing so why is having a high ISO so favorable? Shouldn't people prefer lower ISO since it will eliminate the graininess in pictures?
    Thanx again for everyones help on my problem

A high ISO is helpful for low light shooting without flash, and gives you a faster shutter speed in low light situations, which is used ofr stopping action, and making hand held photos easier.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

a higher ISO basically means the sensor is more sensitive to light, and so you can use faster shutter speeds and let less light in and your photo will still have the same brightness as a properly exposed one.

Thanx everyone for taking the time to help me out I really apreciate it

Thread Information