Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

HELP! Sand in zoom turner

Hey there,

I just got a Panasonic DMC-FZ30PP and there's sand in the ring for the zoom. When turning it you can hear the sand.

Anyone know how to get the sand out? I rather find out how to clean it myself rather than taking it in.

Called up Panasonic, and they said to take it to someone. Called them up, and they said it will be around $300 to clean it. The guy also said there's a 50/50 chance of getting it done. So, I don't know if that was part of his sales pitch or not; but I would like to hear what you all have to say b4 blowing all that money away.

What are your thoughts?

Here's pics of it: http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/re.../fz30_EN1.html
    Last edited by 9thDegree; 05-24-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: HELP! Sand in zoom turner

Quote Originally Posted by 9thDegree
    Hey there,

I just got a Panasonic DMC-FZ30PP and there's sand in the ring for the zoom. When turning it you can hear the sand.

Anyone know how to get the sand out? I rather find out how to clean it myself rather than taking it in.

Called up Panasonic, and they said to take it to someone. Called them up, and they said it will be around $300 to clean it. The guy also said there's a 50/50 chance of getting it done. So, I don't know if that was part of his sales pitch or not; but I would like to hear what you all have to say b4 blowing all that money away.
    Well, years ago I dropped an open Pentax LX into the sand while changing film. This was at the Great Sand Dunes National Monument (yes, monument at the time). I tried cleaning it myself but couldn't get it done right. For $250, the Pentax service center took the entire camera apart, cleaned and lubed all the parts and seals, and put it back together. Well worth the money if its a camera you like. You really can't get it all yourself.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Thread Information