Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Help Me!!!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question Help Me!!!

I have been THINKING of going for it and buying a digital camera..
    Nikon D100 of course.
    Anyway..
    I have been looking on EBay and shops online, etc..
    I have been mostly looking at kits, most of which come with stuff I don't need, but I have found some that closely fit my needs.

I guess what I am asking, is what exactly do I need?
    From what I can tell, a new body generally includes the body, software, a battery, and charger, and a few other miscellanous(but necessary) items..
    I know I will need a memory card, a card reader(Yes/No?).
    I have lens, flash, a bag, and a tripod.

I know there are a few other things I want above and beyond this as well, MB-D100 grip, and battery, may get lens too.

Help!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

D70!

I'd choose the D70 over the D100. You might want to check with some of the other Nikon owners who've compared or own the D100 to see what they think.

Most digital cameras are sold as kits. What "kit" means can vary. Generally it means software, cables, manual, battery, and a tiny memory card. I think it's best to just assume that you'll need another battery, a good sized memory card, and a wider lens - if you like to shoot wide. A card reader is optional, but they're cheap and make downloading easier, so I'd get one.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Hhmmmm.....

You have some good points John..
    I just called my "friends" at Nikon to get a D70 brochure..
    More later..
    Thanks!!!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz

Cool Hi Brian.....just a comment

Hi Brian,
    First let me say that I sincerely believe you are making an excellent choice to purchase a digital camera at this point. I'm far from being the "local digital pro" around here and don't know much about Nikon, but I'd like to give you my take anyway.

I agree with PJ's suggestion about the D70. I've read a few reviews, and from what I can tell, it's an excellent camera with many great features - and less money. Some even say it's better than Canon Rebel 300D, but that statement can't be proven .

It is always a challenge when you decide to get your first DSLR. I really wanted the 10D, but couldn't handle the weight, nor did I have the extra $500. I've never regretted purchasing the Rebel - best photography investment I've ever made. Be sure to study the features. I always print out the specs from both cameras and compare that way (you can get them on the B&H website).

Good luck with whatever you choose - and just wait to see all the fun you will have. I'm happy for you. Initially I thought getting a DSLR would cost me a lot more money, and upfront it did cost, but I found digital to cost me a lot less in the long run.

I hope you're doing well serving our country! Thank you! ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    You have some good points John..
    I just called my "friends" at Nikon to get a D70 brochure..
    More later..
    Thanks!!!
    Brian

Brian,

Get the D70. Better meter, better shutter, better flash sync. All of these things will benefit your MTB shots.

What do you need? Battery, memory, camera, nothing more. Everything else will depend on what you personally use.

Liz,

It already HAS been proven that the D70 is better than the Rebel.

Good luck with your choices Brian.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

The D70 looks great - I can't say much from personal experience other than I know someone who just bought one and is happy with it. It's his first DSLR so no comparison with the D100. If it were me, I'd probably look at the D70 too.

Start with one spare battery for now but you might want more. The kit lens for the D70 is supposed to be a nice lens (and it's an AF-S!) so you might want to consider it - remember that all of your lenses will have the 1.5 factor, so that 18mm zoom will come in handy unless you've already got something that wide.

Memory cards seem to go down in price all the time, so just buy what you need for now. If you have Firewire or USB2 on your computer, get a card reader that will work with that, it's faster and easier than downloading from the camera. Check B&H to see what should come with the USA version of the camera. I've never had a problem with my Fuji or Coolpix, but buy the USA version to make sure it can be fixed - you probably know about Nikon's policy on grey market equipment!

Thread Information