Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Help check my lens quality

I'm having doubts about my newly-purchased 70-200 f2.8L IS lens... have a look at the comparison pics below and tell me whether this is "normal" or not.

The pics were taken with a 300D on Av setting, ISO 100, center point AF, no compensation, default Parameter, using a tripod, at 200mm zoom. First pic is at f2.8 and 1/3200, second is at f4.0 and 1/1600, third is at 2.8 and 1/3200, fourth is at 4.0 and 1/2000. The JPEGs are cropped only, no resizing nor any other post processing done.

Why the big difference in image quality between fully open and 3 stops up, for $1500 worth of lens? Opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help check my lens quality-chall28.jpg   Help check my lens quality-chall40.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

well, I'm only an amateur shooter, but as far as I have learned, the greater the apperture (smaller the opening) the more detail you get at a distance.... although this still doesnt explain why your quality is soooo low on the first picture.... it should be better then that. It is REALLY noticeable.

on a side note... damn my digi cam looks weak compared to that thing .... 1/3200 shutter speed!

Thread Information