Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Help Buying camera

Hello, my name is Minthie. I am planning on buying a camera and i am having trouble. I was in 2 photo classes in high school. i just graduated this past may. and i plan to take my experience to the next level. I was at a camera store tonight talking to a guy about the Canon EOS Rebel XTI.. and he just kinda bumped it off and was like ohh you should get this one... the Sony A100. but I also had in mind the Nikon D80. so for a somewhat beginner what camera should i get, the Canon Rebel, Nikon D80, or the Sony A100.

I appreciate the time you put into reading this and helping me thank you so much.

Minthie

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Help Buying camera

Go to this link. Go to buying guide on left and then click side by side.
    List the cameras you are looking at and you'll get a comprehensive comparison.
    There are full reviews of the d80 and canaon xti there......not sure about the A100.
    Everyone has their favorites and will try to convince you Nikon is better than canon or vice/versa so do your research "before" you go to the store and then you can probably humble the sales people with your insightful questions.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    clip....
    Everyone has their favorites and will try to convince you Nikon is better than canon or vice/versa so do your research "before" you go to the store and then you can probably humble the sales people with your insightful questions.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
    Yes a very good site.... and I agree everyone has their favorites.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I have both the Rebel XTi and the Sony A100. We have a detailed review of the Sony A100 here:

Sony Alpha A100 Pro Review >>

And here's a side-by-side comparison of all three cameras on this site:

Compare Canon Rebel XTi, Nikon D80, and Sony A100 Digital SLRs >>

I haven't had a chance to use the Nikon D80. But I'm sure it's a fine camera. The truth is, all of the current digital SLRs are excellent. The Sony stands out from the rest because it has built-in image stabilization, which will improve the number of good photos you get. Canon and Nikon both offer image stabilized lenses, but you'll have to buy them separately so the initial investment for similar performance will cost you more. And if you want the benefits of image stabilization at other focal lengths, you'll have to invest in more image stabilized lenses. I really think Sony has made a great camera, with the A100.

I actually own Canon equipment and bought the Sony mostly so I could do the review. So I don't think I'm biased. It's our office camera now and I'm back to using my Canon equipment - mostly the Digital Rebel XTi, which I need to write a review for, too. If you're a fairly casual shooter and don't feel the need to invest in the Canon or Nikon systems, then I really think the Sony A100 is a good decision. The benefit of Nikon and Canon are the maturity of their systems and the pro camera bodies and lenses they offer. but if that stuff doesn't matter to you, then I think the Sony is a better choice. The image quality and features of all three cameras are very comparable. Some people will try to split hairs and talk about noise levels - but for all practical purposes, they're pretty much the same.

If you have a predisposition towards Nikon or Canon, that's important. You don't want to have any regrets about what you buy. And camera fit is important, too. The Canon XTi is a very small body and some people don't like that. I like it because it's light and easy to carry. But it's important to try them on for size. Don't buy without handling all three cameras.

The bottom line is, I believe that on matter which camera you buy you'll be getting an excellent piece of photographic gear. The main thing is to get the camera that fits your needs the best and will make you the most happy. If any of the cameras have an edge, it's the Sony, because of its Super Steady Shot image stabilization. Hopefully that adds something to the discussion. Let me know if you have more questions.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Smile Re: Help Buying camera

Thank you all soo much for your help. im still in the thinking process but your information was very very helpfull!!!

thanks so much!!

Thread Information