Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Exclamation Need Idea's on Camera

Hello-

I need to find a camera for work, probably have ~$800 to spend. The camera will be used to shoot gross anatomy, specifically heart valves as well as the entire heart within the surgical setting. We need close ups of heart valve leaflets and the coronary vessels of the heart dissected and in situ.

The pics will be used in scientific papers and blown-up to at least 8x10 for scientific posters. A number of different people will have access to the camera so it needs to be as simple as can be "point & shoot", don't need lots of features. The shots will be taken within the lab & surgical rooms under flourescent lighting.

What is necessary is a macro & supermacro capability as well as normal close pics for example of the entire chest of a person. The camera does not have to mount to a microscope. We don't want to change lenses, want it all in one with flash. I'm guessing around 5MP. The lenses are the priority with good lighting.

There are so many cameras I don't know where to begin, far too many features to make it simple. Anyone have some ideas where to start, specific brand to begin with?
    Last edited by Synapse; 10-28-2006 at 04:25 PM.
    Later-

Bob

Re: Need Idea's on Camera

Bob-
    My first inclination was to recommend a digital SLR. But that's right on the edge of your price range - without a lens. I think your best bet is to look at full-featured, super-zoom compact digital cameras with good macro functions. If you get a 7 or 8-megapixel camera image quality will not be a problem for the kind of printing you need. The first camera that came to mind is the Sony Cyber-shot H5. I checked the specs and it allows focusing as close as 3/4 of an inch in its macro mode. It also has optical image stabilization, which makes a big difference in image quality with handheld photos. It should do the job you need. Here's a link to the specs for that camera, just to give you an idea:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Digital Camera Specs and Reviews >>

Like I said, I'm showing you this camera to give you an idea of what you might consider. Nikon is known for their compact digital camera macro abilities. Kodak and Panasonic also have excellent super-zoom cameras. And I'll be happy to answer more questions. In understand that there's a lot of information to wade through. I do think a good super-zoom is the answer, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information