Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Hand Dyed Wool & Hand Dyed Effect Yarns

Hand Dyed Yarns & Wools are most often associated with the Independent Yarn Industry ("Indie Dyers") and are sought after for their alternative style offering bold colours, interesting shade manipulation, exciting colour effects...and of course their wow factor and feeling of complete uniqueness!

Re: Hand Dyed Wool & Hand Dyed Effect Yarns

Thanks to the success of this niche, we are now finding that some well-known companies and larger names in the fibre industry are working with Artisans and Co-operatives to produce Hand Dyed Yarns. Manos del Uruguay are a great example of this - a non-profit organisation established in the late 1960's. Each skein is spun and then dyed up to six times to achieve the complexity of a true piece of art. Every hank comes with a tag with the name of the artisan who made it and the co-ops location. Every skein is unique, there are no two skeins exactly the same!

This trend for more "out there" colour effects in yarn has also seen the likes of Noro, Sublime and West Yorkshire Spinners create new ranges with a "Hand Dyed Look" but with the convenience of dye-lots and being able to match colours more easily for larger projects.

Each skein of yarn is hand-dyed in my dye studio by me (Babs) or one of my three assistant dyers. As a result of the hand-dyeing process, each skein will be slightly different even if they laid next to each other on the dye table. However, they will be closest to each other if dyed all at the same time. I recommend that you buy all that you need for a project at the same time.

Hand-dyed merino yarn dyers. Today I am going to mention some wonderful merino yarn dyers that I have come across online. I have some of their beautiful yarn in my own personal yarn stash. Now it is just by chance that they are all from Australia. But hey what is wrong with supporting local small businesses right?

When using hand-dyed yarns in a project that requires more than one skein, we strongly recommend alternating skeins every other row of knitting to even out any differences.

Thread Information