Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

grey market camera

Call me stupid...whatever. I recently purchased a Canon A710 IS camera from Enterprise Photo. It came without a problem except it did not have an owners manual with it. I went to the Canon web site and there is nothing to download either. Called Canon and to both of our surprise, the manual is not listed a a part to be included in the box. That is when he asked me who the camera came from...I have all the pieces I was supposed to get. All the connection cords and download CD's. And Canon said they were going to send a manual ( it has not arrived) Everything seems ok but I have a knot in my stomach about this that just won't go away. I have read some of the threads about J&K camera and there may be a connection between theses two businesses. Do I sent the camera back? The Canon rep thought it was a camera meant to be sold in Europe. Has no warrentee...except for the year from Enterprise (yeh, right)
    What do you suggest I do now? Keep it, hope for the best, chalk it up as a loss, shoot myself...

Re: grey market camera

I just recently put a A710 IS on display in my store (great camera by the way), and I'm pretty sure there was a manual and a cd with a more detailed manual on it. There was also a warranty card in there too. At least Canon is helping you out by sending a manual, he might be able to send a card as well, but not sure. Don't shoot yourself! Was the camera overpriced or drastically reduced? I believe they are selling for about $400 US. You could always buy a Mack warranty if you were really worried about something going wrong with it.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

1)What is a Mack warranty?
    2) ah, the warranty card...Not there. As I understand it, this camera is a Canon but Canon sells to grey market merchants without the warranty. The Canon rep asked if the lettering was painted on or a sticker. (It's painted) That is a good thing I'm thinking. I'm still beating myself up (up a notch from shooting) Pricing was a great deal but I have to factor in the anxiety now. 279 +10 shipping. 60 for a 1gb high speed card.

Mack is a third-party service company that sells service contracts. A lot of online dealers will offer a Mack warranty along with the manufacturer warranty. Mack is pretty reputable although there are occassional complaints. They may also "private label" warranties. So the Enterprise Photo one year warranty you have may actually be through Mack or a similar company. Then again, it could be nothing.

My guess is that the camera will be fine. No doubt, you should have received everything the camera was supposed to come with. Hope for the best, live and learn. And by all means, make a post about the dealer on our Dealer feedback Forum.

Just to clarify - gray market usually means it came from overseas. Legitimate gray market is a conscious gamble a lot of photographers make. But it should come with the orginal packaging, manuals, etc. But the warranty just won't be valid in the US. On the other hand, there are other companies that have some shadier practices. Sounds like you found one of them. Did it come in the original box?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It is in the original box. The only thing I see that is odd is a piece of the paper on the back of the box is missing. Definitely peeled off after a razor cut the rectangle out . Everything on the back is written in Japanese.

z, you may want to check again, this is what is listed on the web site

PowerShot A710 IS Body
    AA-size Alkaline Battery (x2)
    SD Memory Card SDC-16MB
    Wrist Strap WS-200
    Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM (not a manual, I double checked)
    USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
    AV Cable AVC-DC300

Yeah I went in today and checked...no manual.

Z
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

so what would you tell a customer that just bought a $400 camera with no manual. And no download on the web site. Is this camera so new that no one has ever noticed?

To be honest...not many people come in to buy a 400 dollar camera. I will ask our Canon rep next time she is in, and ask her what they are going to do about it. I will update you with whatever she tells me.

Z
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

First off did you check the CD's for the manual? Canon normally has the manual on a CD as well.
    Second: If you have a gray market camera it is 50/50 on whether Canon USA will repair it if it needs repaired. Sometimes they make you ship overseas, sometimes they fix it but charge rediculus prices because it wasn't brought in under their USA license so you pay for it in the repair cost.

Third: Again it's a crapshoot on the 1 year warranty, however it's rare for cameras to fail the first year under normal use...but there are occasions.

Fourth: Don't shoot yourself! We don't want to loose any members, and we don't want any members losing any parts either :

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thank you for help. The manual came today from Canon. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed and the only thing that I will shot is pictures.

Thread Information