Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Good Night Photos

I'm currently looking for a new camera to buy, and even though most cameras I could get would be better than the one I have now, I want to make sure I'm getting a good one that will fit what I want it for most.
    The main thing I'll be using the camera for is to take pictures at night, specifically of scenery (Buildings, nature, etc), and my main concern is to find a camera that will allow me to actually see what I take pictures of instead of being almost completely black. My current camera can only take decent night pictures if there's a lot of light around, and the night picture option takes at least ten to twenty seconds to work, and if I move at all during that time, the picture is completely blurred. The feature also unnaturally illuminates the picture. I'd also like a good zoom feature because not many will be close ups, but of a general area of focus.
    Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than $100, $150 at the most, but any suggestions will be appreciated. I'm not looking for anything too fancy or advanced; just an every day digital camera.
    Thank you in advance.

Re: Good Night Photos

you can just use a tripod for your current camera. That will help you with your shutter being open for 10 to 20 seconds. It wont be blurry because you wont be moving it.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

Quote Originally Posted by DGK*CRONE
    you can just use a tripod for your current camera. That will help you with your shutter being open for 10 to 20 seconds. It wont be blurry because you wont be moving it.
    I use a common digital camera, not one for photography, and that's all I want and need. Even if I wanted or had a tripod, my camera is too simple for it.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

There is no camera that can take night pictures when being hand held unless its one I haven't investigated because it is far beyond my price range.
    Just about any decent camera has a tripod mount on it.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Photographer
    I use a common digital camera, not one for photography, and that's all I want and need. Even if I wanted or had a tripod, my camera is too simple for it.
    What is it? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

My Canon A580 is not bad for night pictures, although I can't say it's great. My Nikon D40 with the 35mm 1.8 lens takes GREAT night pictures, although you are looking at about $600 for that setup ($400 for the camera, $200 for the lens). My Fuji S1000 is really, really bad with night pictures. I don't know about other makes and models, sorry.

One trick might be to find something to place the camera on (rock, railing, tree branch, ground, etc), then set the camera to its timer function, press the button, and place the camera. Since the camera isn't moving, there will be no blur, even with a 10-20 second shutter. I think that they also sell "Gorilla Pods", which are little flexible tripods you can attach and then wrap the legs around things (tree branches, railings, etc) to hold the camera for you. I've never used one, and your camera would need a tripod mount to use it. Most cameras I've seen do have a tripod mount, though. It's just a threaded hole on the bottom. My only other advice is to crank the ISO as high as it goes (if the camera let's you adjust this), but you will get noiser pictures. They might not be as blurry, but they will be noisier and more grainy looking. Really, finding a way to take your hands off the camera is the best solution with a slow shutter speed.
    Last edited by havana_joe; 04-22-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Thread Information