Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Unhappy Fujifilm s1800 - Battery Problem

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Fujifilm s1800 and used it for a while with the Alkaline batteries that came along with the kit.

As they got drained off, I used rechargeable NI-MH batteries (two with 2700mAH and two with 2650mAH). The 2700mAH batteries were bought few months back and the 2650mAH was new. I charged all the four batteries in a compatible NI-MH charger.

When I put them in my camera and tried to switch it on, the indicator light turns green and immediately to orange and doesn't power on.. I tried twice, but the same problem.

It was perfectly working fine with the non-rechargeable alkaline batteries that came along with the kit.

Please help me on what can be the issue and how to resolve it...

Thanks,
    Prat

Re: Fujifilm s1800 - Battery Problem

I would check for corrosion on the contacts. You should be able to clean them up if it isn't to bad. The next thing to check is to see if your charger is working. Have you tried the rechargable AA 's in something else to see if they are charged? I would go buy some regular AA's and try them and see if the camera powers up.
    Nikon D300s with Nikon grip
    Nikon D300 with Zeikos grip
    Nikon D40x
    Nikkor 80-200 2.8
    Nikkor 70-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 Kit lens
    Nikkor 50 1.8
    Nikkor 35 1.8
    Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    SB-900
    SB-600

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have found out the solution. Its actually not a solution but a overlook from my side. The camera was in the EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) mode and hence there was no display in the lcd and I thought the batteries were faulty. This is because I used to have a point and shoot camera before and now as I have changed to this advanced ultrazoom camera.... I am getting these starting hiccups....

Moreover I came to know that battery capacities doesn't matter. You can insert a 1800mah, 2500mah into a same camera at once.....

Thanks for your guidance mate...

Cheers,
    Pratap

It is best to keep the batteries the same. That way they charge and discharge equally and you get the most out of them.

Glad you got everything figured out. Have fun and enjoy.Taking photo's to me is one of the greatest gifts god could have given me. Not only do I get to see the big picture but I get to see all the little pictures happening within.
    Nikon D300s with Nikon grip
    Nikon D300 with Zeikos grip
    Nikon D40x
    Nikkor 80-200 2.8
    Nikkor 70-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 Kit lens
    Nikkor 50 1.8
    Nikkor 35 1.8
    Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    SB-900
    SB-600

I no longer use NiMh or Alkaline. I use Lithium only. No mess, no mixing, no chargers, no hassle.

My guess is that the camera will work only if all four batteries are the same. I'd buy two more NiMH batteries to match two of the batteries you already have and see what happens.

Thread Information