Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Flare and rainbow spots

I have a uv filter on my camera then a screw on rubber hood on the filter, should the filter screw in the hood, or do it make any differance, I did notice ,I only got these spots when the sun was off centre, any suggestions?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Flare and rainbow spots

Hood in front of the filter, not the other way round.
    You may need a more expensive multi-coated filter.
    But unless you're shooting on film, why use a UV filter?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Come to think of it, when I use my Nikon 8700 no filter , I don,t get spot or flar, So you say I don,t need a uv filter on my Fuiji s700?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Uv filters do nothing for digital cameras. There's a reason and one of our technical types could probably explain it.
    Some still use them as lens protection but many of us ditched them. Why put an inferior piece of glass in front of an expensive lens?

Oh! And welcome to the forums!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Some uv filters will create more flare, especially if they are not a multi-coated type. The further out they are from the front of the lens filter, the more likely they are to produce more glare, hence why Paul said filter than hood (if its a filter threaded lens hood). Though the real purpose of UV filters in the digital age is simply lens protection, as they offer nothing in the exposure. If you are in a rough shooting environment where theres lots of dust, or where the lens is in an otherwise hazardous area, then a UV filter has a purpose, but for the most part, the only thing they can do is degrade image quality or do nothing.

I got to remember that ( UV Filters do nothing for digital photos) only for protection when needed. Thanks guys, I,m still living in the old Minolta 7000 Max, film days.

Thread Information