Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

exposure compensation query

I've just been looking online at some tips online on taking pictures outside (mainly looking at (kenrockwell site).

I noticed that he has his exposure compensation at -1/3 or -2/3 for outside pics.

As I live in England I just wanted to know if this would be the same for England.

I reckon for sunny days with blue skys (this weekend) it would be best to use -2/3.

And sunny with clouds (most summer days in England!) at -1/3.

What about for those cloudy days? Keep it at 0?

I use a Canon 20d.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: exposure compensation query

Quote Originally Posted by chopperward
    I've just been looking online at some tips online on taking pictures outside (mainly looking at (kenrockwell site).

I noticed that he has his exposure compensation at -1/3 or -2/3 for outside pics.

As I live in England I just wanted to know if this would be the same for England.

I reckon for sunny days with blue skys (this weekend) it would be best to use -2/3.

And sunny with clouds (most summer days in England!) at -1/3.

What about for those cloudy days? Keep it at 0?

I use a Canon 20d.
    General rules such as this were common with film when the ISO was locked in place. It was sort of OK back then, but even those rules were based on the characteristics of each camera and each film. These days, rules such as this are wasted with digital.

Take the time to learn about exposure and the use of the histogram. That will serve you much better than a one-size-fits-all "solution."

Also, FWIW, Ken Rockwell doesn't have that good of a reputation with serious photographers.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Re: exposure compensation query

I totally agree, that you should look at your histogram and move it to the left or right with exposure compensation. Rules of thunb from the film days are OBE, since you can check this after a shot or even prior with the live view, if available with never cams.

Thread Information