Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Seb

Dust on the sensor or on the lense??

Hey all,

I went for a night shot session earlier tonight with my D70 and shot a river at dawn from various angles. Looking at my pictures at their full size I have been noticing stanges dark spots which I suspect might have been dust. Theses spots were pretty much located in the same area when they showed but they only appeared on few pictures, the others being perfectly clean...

Back home, I looked at the front element of my lenses which was clean and deciced (out of curiosity) to shoot a white sheet as I tought that it would be easy to map dust if there was some but the "picture" proven to be perfect.

What happened here?? Dust on the front element that fell off by itself or dust on the sensor that fell off by itself (or something else)??. The camera is not even 1 week old and I have only put on the lense when I got the body. New dust cannot have entered inside the body and all my pictures before tonight were fine.

any imput would be much appreciated.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hey all,

I went for a night shot session earlier tonight with my D70 and shot a river at dawn from various angles. Looking at my pictures at their full size I have been noticing stanges dark spots which I suspect might have been dust. Theses spots were pretty much located in the same area when they showed but they only appeared on few pictures, the others being perfectly clean...

Back home, I looked at the front element of my lenses which was clean and deciced (out of curiosity) to shoot a white sheet as I tought that it would be easy to map dust if there was some but the "picture" proven to be perfect.

What happened here?? Dust on the front element that fell off by itself or dust on the sensor that fell off by itself (or something else)??. The camera is not even 1 week old and I have only put on the lense when I got the body. New dust cannot have entered inside the body and all my pictures before tonight were fine.

any imput would be much appreciated.

Seb
    Count yourself lucky. Dust on the sensor usually sticks - it can be a real problem. Don't use compressed air to try an clean it - try something like Sensor Swabs if you get spots that don't go away.

Dust on the sensor is a fact of life with DSLR's. Like someone said on the other board, with film you didn't worry about it because your "imaging sensor" changed everytime you pressed the shutter release. Dust can easily get in if you aren't careful (and even if you are).

Some tips to help keep it dust free: Turn the camera off when you change lenses. Point the camera down (lens mount facing the ground) when the lens is off. Change lenses as quickly as possible. Don't change lenses in a dusty environment (like the beach on a windy day...).

I use one of these to keep the inside of the camera clean: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=259157&is=REG

Sensor swabs are a standard way to do it too but I personally haven't done that yet (had mine since August). This website shows more about it: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning I bought the tool he sells, but haven't had the nerve to try it yet. Whatever you do, do not use compressed air on the sensor!

Seb
    Thanks guys,

As I said on the other tread my problem is now resolved. The technician used an air blower fairly similar to the "Giotto" Another View is reffering at and I have bought one myself.

Sensor Swab!! OMG, let's hope it never gets to that lol. Seriously, one needs a whole lot of guts to do such a thing. I don't think I would ever dare to do it.

regards

Seb

Thread Information