Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

for the dRebel owners- prospective buyer's Q

I use a RebelG right now so there's nowhere to go but up, even putting the digital aspect aside. I'd appreciate it if some of the Digital Rebel owners could answer a couple questions for me; a few sticking points if you will, about the dRebel as I get ready to go digital soon.

- "The viewfinder." I'm aware of the 1.6x crop but I'd like to know if the dRebel's viewfinder compensates for that so that I don't have to mentally crop 1.6x from my pics when I frame up. In other words, something reasonably close to wysiwyg, like my current Rebel.

- "Its the same thing!" I hear that the internal picture-taking guts of the dRebel and 10D are the same. True?

- "Exif info" What's the skinny on this? I know it contains info like shutter speed, aperture, date, things I would write down in my notepad, etc. Does the dRebel create this? (not to sound rudimentary)

Thanks
    Adam

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    The viewfinder works just like a normal viewfinder. You don't calculate anything.

Don't know if it's the same internals, I'd be very doubtful as the requirements for film and digital are so different.

EXIF is the way that all the data about the shot (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc.) are stored inside each image.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Yeah, same. Viewfindinder is WYSIWYG, exif has all possible data, and I don't know what the 10d is...

the Digital Rebel is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Don't know if it's the same internals, I'd be very doubtful as the requirements for film and digital are so different.
    Sorry, Michael, guess what I typed in my head didn't translate well to text! I was comparing the internals of the 10D to the Digital Rebel, not the film RebelG.

Thanks for both of your replies however, it pretty much solidified my choice of the Digital Rebel.

-Adam

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty_tuna
    Sorry, Michael, guess what I typed in my head didn't translate well to text! I was comparing the internals of the 10D to the Digital Rebel, not the film RebelG.
    -Adam
    My fault, I read it wrong. Yes, the sensor and all the other critical components are the same. It's the feature set that is different.

Enjoy your Rebel!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I'm a new DReb owner, so far very satisfied with it and getting a kick out of the whole digital paradigm. Maybe will post some initial shots when I get a round tuit.

Having said that, here are things I wish the DReb had that it doesn't:

* A way to choose parameter sets without going thru the menu.

* A RAW mode without an embedded JPEG.

* A way to choose color temperature directly (altho with RAW you can do that in s/w, even the program that comes with the camera).

* Spot metering.

However, I can't justify buying a more expensive camera for these features.

- Yaron

There are a lot of Digital Rebel owners who are looking for Bios cracking for the features that are missing on the digital rebal compared to the 10D. If you have a look on dpreview.com and search for digital rebal bios crack and have a look. If you don't get many hits with that, just look in the digital rebel forum and read for a while. Not saying don't get the digital Rebel just passing on info for you to consider.

I personally have the 10D, love it and considered the Rebel but passed on that one.

Liz

Talking Great choice......opinion of a Rebel owner!

I was one of the first to purchase a digital Rebel. I love this camera. I get just as much of a thrill pushing that shutter button as I did the day I got it!

Enough said.

Liz

Thread Information