Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: DReb sample

DReb sample

This is a crop - a small piece (about 1/3.5) - of a picture snapped with a Digital Rebel, large JPEG mode, cheap lense (Canon 28-80 II, kit lense from Rebel 2000).
    - Yaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DReb sample-img_0146_crop.jpg  

I think you can do a lot with this image, if you have Photoshop, use the levels and do a tonal balance with the middle eye droper and click on the pole. Then do some adjustments to the shadows and highlights, then apply some increase of hue saturation around +10-15, then do an unsharpen mask of about 100% amount, radius 0.4 and threshold 1. And see what you get then from the image.

I really think you need to have some post processing of your image to see the results of digital photos. I know others will chime in too, but I tried the above on your photo and it looks much better than what you have posted.

Most Digital photos need a little unsharpen mask done to them after you load them onto your computer. Does the Digital Rebel shoot photos in RAW mode, if it does, I suggest you take some images with the RAW mode and see the difference of what you can do with the image post capture and adjustments that can be done to the images to compensate if you get something wrong, without image loss as well.

I think your shot could be interesting without so much Pole in it as well and the image is so centred as well, rule of thirds does need to come into play a bit here as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Flashram_Peter_AUS.

The point was more to show what the D-Rebel (at least mine) spits out "natively," in pretty much snap mode, as well as the quality after cropping.

I've taken about 200 shots so far, in different modes, to experiment with various processing techniques and s/w. Yes, there's shadow detail to be reclaimed and greater saturation would help. (In fact, in general, it seems the saturation of DReb shots could be increased, at least when shooting with Parameter 1.) Thanx for the suggestion of balancing off the pole.

I probably wouldn't do much with this particular piece of image, since the focus and DOF are rather off (at least off of what I'd like). As far as the composition, were I to target this relic as the primary subject, I'd probably shoot it at more of an angle, not so full-frontal.

Thanks,
    Yaron

On second thought...

Actually, I did play with this image, after Peter whetted my appetite...

Cropped it even more - to the point where noise and JPEG artifacts were beginning to show, but that's OK - and lo and behold, there's a script in the right-side compartment... (not very readable here, as I didn't optimize it for the script.)

Tweaked with the histogram, then with GEM. (Looks like it can use a little more sharpening, but at this crop level, with a JPEG image, any more sharpening would have really brought out the noise and artifacts.)

- Yaron
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information