Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Digital Still Camera under $200

Hi,

I'm currently in Iraq and am trying to find a good digital still camera so I can send pictures and video home. I was hoping someone here who knew more than me could help me find a good camera under $200. Here's a few things I'm looking for.

*It'd be nice if the lense had some kind of cover that slid over it (think the old 2.0mp cybershots or something) to keep dust/sand out. Preferably no retracting lense (donno the name for that, where the lense moves in and out?)
    *640x480 video, limited only by the memory card size
    *Fast off to picture speed (i.e. the time it takes it to turn on and take a picture) so I don't miss out on things
    *At least 4.0mp

Those are the 4 main things I want. One camera I was looking at was the Sony DSCS40. I don't know much about this one, but from the reviews I've read it looks perfect except for the lense cover. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions
    Last edited by beanbagking; 01-20-2006 at 03:41 PM.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Digital Still Camera under $200

Hello BBK, First question is, do you have access to the PX (if that's what they still call it)? If so, you can probably get what you are looking for through them at a much reduced price. Other than that, I can only recommend you check out the "Reviews Section" here ... http://www.photographyreview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

You can customize the search for what you need and read the reviews on the particular camera. I've read a couple of the reviews on the Sony, but don't have any first hand knowledge of this camera, but I know they do put out a nice product and would probably do you good.

Good luck and look forward to seeing some shots when you find what you need!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information