Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Looking for DSLR. Narrowed down search. Gimme some feedback.

I am looking for decent DSLR to start shooting again. Will be doing primarily candid shots, close ups, portrait, etc.

I am looking to buy something used, but decent and want to stay in the $500 range. I need a viewfinder and if it does HD vid, that is a plus.

Please provide feedback on following models or offer any other recommendations. Here is what i have narrowed it down to, in no particular order:

Nikon D90
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon D3100
    Canon T1i
    Canon T2i

Price is probably my biggest factor but i have found all of these cameras w/ at least one lense in the $450 to $650 price range. I want something reliable and that will produce good images.

Thanks for input!

Re: Looking for DSLR. Narrowed down search. Gimme some feedback.

I'd go with the D90, its the best body of the bunch. The only one considered pro-grade as well, signature of pro grade being - magnesium/alloy body, pentaprism (glass prism not plastic mirrors), cross type AF point(s) and dual control wheel. If you want to have fine tuned control over your shots, and better quality parts the D90 is where its at.

Then, I don't know why you haven't listed the Sony A700 or the Canon 40D/50D. Those would be more adequately compared to the Nikon D90, than the other 4 you listed. The A700 and 40D may be found at a slightly lower price than the D90. The A700 uses the same sensor as the D90. The 40D uses a sensor 2 mpix less, but still excellent quality. Is used market out of the question?

I'm a believer in dual control wheels, pentaprisms and magnesium alloy bodies.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I would go with the D90 too. As Charlie says, big viewfinder, full set of control wheels and dials, solid feel. I like consumer cameras because they are light but I quickly get tired of plunging into menus whenever you want to do something.

The D90 will do video - it was the first DSLR to offer this possibility - but there has been some progress since (example the D3100 does HD vdeo)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks guys!

canon t2i is a beauty

Thread Information