Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

digital camera for my ten year old son

anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable priced camera for my ten year old son? he is a complete novice but seems interested. would like to spend under $200 and have a decent camera for him to learn on. any suggestions??

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: digital camera for my ten year old son

KEY WORDS.... 10 YEARS OLD!

Not to sound mean, but you know children break things easier than those who pay for it(usually)

I would suggest a KODAK C300,C310 or an OLYMPUS D435 because of the non moving lens

From there you have a bunch of under $200 cameras with lenses that extend outward

canon A410, A520
    nikon 4600
    olympus FE-100, FE-110
    sony S40, S60

For right around $200 you can get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 which has a 5mp sensor a good zoom range! and IMAGE STABILIZING!!!

If you want quality for $200, that's my vote!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: digital camera for my ten year old son

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    KEY WORDS.... 10 YEARS OLD!

Not to sound mean, but you know children break things easier than those who pay for it(usually)

I would suggest a KODAK C300,C310 or an OLYMPUS D435 because of the non moving lens

From there you have a bunch of under $200 cameras with lenses that extend outward

canon A410, A520
    nikon 4600
    olympus FE-100, FE-110
    sony S40, S60

For right around $200 you can get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 which has a 5mp sensor a good zoom range! and IMAGE STABILIZING!!!

If you want quality for $200, that's my vote!

thank you so much for this response. i had looked at the panasonic and it seemed like a great camera. i am not all that concerned about the camera breaking bc my son tends to be almost overly cautious with his things. it was nice to get confirmation of what seemed like a great choice to me. thanks again for your time and input.

Thread Information