Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Digital Camera Dilema (Christmas Gift Help)

I am purchasing a digital camera for my girlfriend this Christmas. I narrowed it down to 5 digital cameras. She's also seen and felt each of these and loved all 5. So that didn't help lol. So from the 5 below, which one is most recommended? (Note: It would be used as a point and shoot camera during the day and night)

Canon SD1000 ($180)
    Canon SD750 ($238)
    Nikon Coolpix S51 ($200)
    Sony DSC-T70 ($245)
    Sony DSC-W90 ($220)

The Canon's come with a FREE 1GB Card.

Re: Digital Camera Dilema (Christmas Gift Help)

Either the W90 of SD750. They are both small, compact and deliver excellent pics. I would lean more toward the SD750, because SD memory is usually cheaper and easier to find.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Re: Digital Camera Dilema (Christmas Gift Help)

What kind of things does she like to take pictures of? I would pick a camera with image stabilization. Image stabilization helps make photos sharper in low light and other tricky situations. It can really make a big difference in photo quality - especially for point-and-shoot photographers who don't have much experience or technique.

Of the two cameras you listed, the Sony W90 and the Nikon Coolpix S51 have image stabilization. So if you're limited to the list above, I'd choose one of those two cameras. The Nikon has their 's VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization and the Sony has Sony's Super Steady Shot image stabilization. Between those tow cameras I'd go with the Sony because I like the features and design of the Sony W-series cameras and I am skeptical of the small, internal zoom lens on Nikon's S-Series cameras. Same goes for the zoom lens on the Sony T-Series cameras.

The Sony T70 doesn't have image stabilization, although the camera design is neat and I'm sure she likes the touchscreen controls and colors. Sony does have other T-Series cameras that do have their Super Steady Shot image stabilization. So if you think that's the one, check to see which Sony-T-Series camera has Super Steady Shot. I am not a fan of the lens in these cameras. But image quality might not be as important for your girlfriend as it is for me :-)

Neither of the Canon cameras you listed has image stabilization. Canon does have pocket-sized SD-series cameras with IS, though. Take a look at the SD850 IS and the SD870 IS. Canon cameras are by far the most popular on this site and in the world right now. And there's a reason for that. They are making great cameras. I reviewed the SD850 IS last year and at the time it was one of my favorite point-and-shoots ever. Here's a link to that review:

Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Review >>

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions. And good job getting your girlfriend a digital camera for Christmas!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information