Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering a Nikon D60

Afternoon all, (EST anyway ;) )

My wife and I are considering purchasing a D60. We've had very good experience with our old Nikon N50 but feel it is time to step into the era of Digital SLRs. The D60 is within budget and boasts many of the same features that our trusty N50 has, not to mention, the Nikon name has proven to be very reliable for us. I've been to the store, and I like the way it feels, the layout of the buttons, etc. I am pretty sure this is the unit we want, but I have some questions.

Firstly, I understand that I will need to get a certain kind of lens with this camera. One that has the motors built in for AF to work properly (AF-S?). What I am finding is that many kits that are available online do not include these standard. Can anyone point me in the right direction for more info on this topic and what type of lenses I should be considering?

Second, We have two small children that rarely stand still for very long. So, I guess that puts my interest more in the "sports photog" areas. I need something that will catch my little blurs as they tear around. We are also very active and take lots of outdoor shots of the family doing various activities from skiing to time on the beach. I'd be looking to get into a zoom lens as well. Something that would pick up where the kit lens leaves off. Perhaps a 55-200mm or similar.

Let's handle those two things first before I get too carried away. Any responses are appreciated.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Considering a Nikon D60

Welcome to PR.
    Yes, with the D60, you will have to use afs lenses to get auto-focus. Non afs lenses will work but have to be manual focus.

Since you have a film Nikon, I would guess you also have some Nikon lenses. Because of that, I would suggest you consider getting a D80. Not totally sure what the price difference would be but I know the D80 price has dropped like a rock since the D90 has come out.
    You would then have the use of any of the Nikon lenses you have as the D80 has an internal focus motor.
    I think a good zoom would be the 18-200 vr if its in your budget. I got a used one at KEH with an ex+ rating for a couple hundred less than new one. The vr will let you get those shots that you'd need a tripod for otherwise. I've been able to get fairly sharp shots as low as 1/15 if I'm careful and the subject is static.

Edit......just looked at B&H and the D60 body only is going for $446.95 and the D80 for $589.95
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Welcome to PR.
    Yes, with the D60, you will have to use afs lenses to get auto-focus. Non afs lenses will work but have to be manual focus.

Since you have a film Nikon, I would guess you also have some Nikon lenses. Because of that, I would suggest you consider getting a D80. Not totally sure what the price difference would be but I know the D80 price has dropped like a rock since the D90 has come out.
    You would then have the use of any of the Nikon lenses you have as the D80 has an internal focus motor.
    I think a good zoom would be the 18-200 vr if its in your budget. I got a used one at KEH with an ex+ rating for a couple hundred less than new one. The vr will let you get those shots that you'd need a tripod for otherwise. I've been able to get fairly sharp shots as low as 1/15 if I'm careful and the subject is static.

Edit......just looked at B&H and the D60 body only is going for $446.95 and the D80 for $589.95
    I too came to the conclusion that a 18-135/18-200mm lens might better fit my needs. That way, I am not carrying two lenses around all the time.

We only have the kit lens with the N50, a 35-80mm. It served us pretty well, but we want more. Not sure that a D80 is in the budget along with getting a lens that I want.

Edit: Also, the D80 is discontinued on the B&H site.

This lens looks like it might do the trick for us: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ml#accessories

thoughts?

That is the lens I started my dslr journey with and it does get mixed reviews but I think its a fine lens for walkabout. Doesn't have the range of the 18-200 but I think its a little bit sharper.
    The one problem I've ever had with it is vignetting when wide open at 18 to maybe 24.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicmoose
    This lens looks like it might do the trick for us: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ml#accessories

thoughts?
    I love my Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G lens. For me It's the perfect walk about lens.
    I have had no vignetting issues at 18mm. Funny how the same model can give different results.
    Here is a photo I took just last weekend at 18mm using a CPL filter to boot. (note: adding filters can cause vignetting)

IMO you can't go wrong with this lens. As for the d60. Additional Lens are very expensive if you decide you like digital photography and want to expand your lens collection.
    I would buy a used d80 before I would buy a new d60. Which is exactly what I did after researching the d60.
    I payed $409 for my d80 body and it only had 850 shutter actuations. I also bought my 18-135 used for $189
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 03-18-2009 at 07:13 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

That is the lens I started my dslr journey with and it does get mixed reviews but I think its a fine lens for walkabout. Doesn't have the range of the 18-200 but I think its a little bit sharper.
    The one problem I've ever had with it is vignetting when wide open at 18 to maybe 24.
    The 18-200mm is a tad out of my price range ATM, but I appreciate the input. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Singletracklovr
    I love my Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G lens. For me It's the perfect walk about lens.
    I have had no vignetting issues at 18mm. Funny how the same model can give different results.
    Here is a photo I took just last weekend at 18mm using a CPL filter to boot. (note: adding filters can cause vignetting)

What a beautiful shot! Very nice.

IMO you can't go wrong with this lens. As for the d60. Additional Lens are very expensive if you decide you like digital photography and want to expand your lens collection.
    I am assuming that this is because of the fact that the D60 has no internal motors for AF?

I would buy a used d80 before I would buy a new d60. Which is exactly what I did after researching the d60.
    I payed $409 for my d80 body and it only had 850 shutter actuations. I also bought my 18-135 used for $189
    Where are you getting your used equipment from? I am so very leery of buying used.

Found a D80 package with the lens I want for $749. Seems like a good deal to me. Thoughts on the D80 vs the D60? Worth the extra coin?

Please keep in mind that I am not a professional photographer, but I am looking for a bit of forward compatibility if at all possible with respect to lenses and such.

Found a D80 package with the lens I want for $749. Seems like a good deal to me. Thoughts on the D80 vs the D60? Worth the extra coin?
    749 sounds like a good deal for new.
    I did a quick google for Nikon D80 Digital Camera w/ 18-135mm Lens Kit and found 799 at B&H and 769 at Buy.com.

Please keep in mind that I am not a professional photographer, but I am looking for a bit of forward compatibility if at all possible with respect to lenses and such.
    Neither am I. The d80 is not considered a professional camera.

I am assuming that this is because of the fact that the D60 has no internal motors for AF?
    YES! Not having a internal motor drive for the lens focus is a very big deal, IMO.

hth
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 03-18-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

749 sounds like a good deal for new.
    I did a quick google for Nikon D80 Digital Camera w/ 18-135mm Lens Kit and found 799 at B&H and 769 at Buy.com.
    I'm going to talk with the Mrs about this one then.

YES! Not having a internal motor drive for the lens focus is a very big deal, IMO.

hth
    And the D80 does in fact have an internal motor drive, correct? (I am on Nikon's site now researching this camera.)

Yes the D80 has an internal motor drive. I have no problem focusing/metering with my 50mm which is not an afs lens.

The vignetting on the 18-135 only occurs at 3.5 to 4.5. Seldom get it at 5.6
    Its a known issue that can be worked around or even used once aware of it.

KEH is a good place to look for used. Cameta sells re-conditioned.
    Shop for deals but make sure to check the camera dealer feedback forum for dealers to avoid.
    Keep Shooting!

Yes the D80 has an internal motor drive. I have no problem focusing/metering with my 50mm which is not an afs lens.
    Good to know.

KEH is a good place to look for used. Cameta sells re-conditioned.
    Shop for deals but make sure to check the camera dealer feedback forum for dealers to avoid.
    I've heard of Cameta before. I'll check them out as well as KEH.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to discuss this with me. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to talk with the Mrs about this one then.

And the D80 does in fact have an internal motor drive, correct? (I am on Nikon's site now researching this camera.)
    Yes the d80 does have an internal motor drive.
    The d80 has so many advantages over the d60 it would be hard to list them all.

Good luck with getting your Kitchen Pass with the misses...haha

The vignetting on the 18-135 only occurs at 3.5 to 4.5. Seldom get it at 5.6
    Its a known issue that can be worked around or even used once aware of it.
    Ah, that explains why I haven't seen vignetting on this lens. I've never used 18mm with the lens wide open.
    I use 18mm for outdoor shots, like the picture posted, where I want everything in focus so a typical camera setting for me is f16-f22
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

Yes the d80 does have an internal motor drive.
    The d80 has so many advantages over the d60 it would be hard to list them all.

Good luck with getting your Kitchen Pass with the misses...haha
    Fantastic! Thanks

I need something that will catch my little blurs as they tear around.
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8 - super fast AF, super fast lens.... That 18-135 or any of the other lens mentioned wouldn't catch your kids worth a darn comparably speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8 - super fast AF, super fast lens.... That 18-135 or any of the other lens mentioned wouldn't catch your kids worth a darn comparably speaking.
    While you might be right, I need to get a lens that is versatile for right now.

Sure it will. His kids aren't track runners running the hundred yard dash directly across from his focal plane and the 18-135 will let him stay our of the way of their antics.
    Maybe not so good for in the house but fine for outside. The 50 is a great lens and maybe should be his second to consider especially since it will auto-focus on a D80.
    Keep Shooting!

Sure it will. His kids aren't track runners running the hundred yard dash directly across from his focal plane and the 18-135 will let him stay our of the way of their antics.
    Maybe not so good for in the house but fine for outside. The 50 is a great lens and maybe should be his second to consider especially since it will auto-focus on a D80.
    My 3 year old bounces from every wall - I need the super fast AF performance of my 50 to hope to keep up with him. Kids run around a *lot*, and the last thing that you want just when the kids are filling the frame perfectly - is a moments delay waiting for the extra millisecond AF hunt. The viewfinders also much brighter with a 50 f1.8, indoors a necessary helpfulness. There is also the matter of bokeh - bokeh being the best way to simulate backdrop and isolate the dof of an individual portrait shot - on an f3.5-6.3, forget about good bokeh.

Considering the 50mm f1.8 is a measly $75 investment, it would be silly *not* to get it. Every photographers bag needs a fast 50 prime.

My 3 year old bounces from every wall - I need the super fast AF performance of my 50 to hope to keep up with him. Kids run around a *lot*, and the last thing that you want just when the kids are filling the frame perfectly - is a moments delay waiting for the extra millisecond AF hunt. The viewfinders also much brighter with a 50 f1.8, indoors a necessary helpfulness. There is also the matter of bokeh - bokeh being the best way to simulate backdrop and isolate the dof of an individual portrait shot - on an f3.5-6.3, forget about good bokeh.
    I always wondered how that was done. Thanks for the explanation of bokeh.

Considering the 50mm f1.8 is a measly $75 investment, it would be silly *not* to get it. Every photographers bag needs a fast 50 prime.
    Trust me, it will be in the future for us, but I need to start out with a good lens that can be used in various situations.

Welp, I went with the D80 and the 18-135 lens. Thanks for the help guys. I will post back once the unit arrives.

Exactly what I started with and have only added 4 lenses....the 50, a tokina 12-24, a sigma 70-300, and recently a 90mm macro.
    Hope to see some shots when you get it. People here are so helpful on technique and how to get those shots right.
    Also make sure to make good use of the digitutor links......I can't ;remember the last time I opened the manual since discovering them.
    They are found in the Nikon forums http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d80/index.shtml
    Keep Shooting!

Exactly what I started with and have only added 4 lenses....the 50, a tokina 12-24, a sigma 70-300, and recently a 90mm macro.
    Hope to see some shots when you get it. People here are so helpful on technique and how to get those shots right.
    Also make sure to make good use of the digitutor links......I can't ;remember the last time I opened the manual since discovering them.
    They are found in the Nikon forums http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d80/index.shtml
    I'm going to check that out right now. THANKS!

D60 is the upgrade for D40x which I owned previously. The differences between two are too small to justify upgrading from D40x. If you own D40 and would like more resolution then D60 may fit the bill. For D40x owners only real advantage is the VR lens which is probably only slightly better than the non-VR one that comes with D40x (for the zoom range of 18-55mm). Off course I am not forgetting D-Lighting which is a much touted feature but I didn't see noticeable difference in quality. Using Active D-Lighting makes the camera take longer to save pictures. It could take a few seconds before you can review the photo on LCD.

I have the D60 and think its a great camera, I know everyone on here thinks other wise but I have never had any problems with it and it shots great shots. Sure if money was falling out of my pants I would have $3000 camera also

But the D60 is a great camera for the price and worth buying over the D40 D40x if you are buying your first camera. And still worth looking into for an upgrade.

Also the D-lighting works as its suposed too. You will not see any diff if the the picture is exposed correctly or close to it. But if its underexposed or if you have blown out some hot spots it works great.

Just read up on each camera and buy what you can afford and not get sucked into paying for more camera then you need at the time. After all if you are buying a good camera you really never lose much if you decide to bump up and sell your old one.
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 18 - 200mm VR f 3.5 - 5.6G
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G
    Nikkor 18 - 120mm VR Kit Lens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information