Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Is CLA-8 lens adaptor necessary for Olympus C-8080?

Hi,

I am looking at getting a telephoto lens for my Olympus C-8080. There are a lot of them for sale which say they work with any camera that has 58mm threads. My camera does have 58mm threads, which I have a filter on. But I am wondering if those threads are only for filters? Olympus says I need the lens adaptor to use their attachment lens. But is that only for theirs? Or do I need it for any attached lens?

Thanks!

Re: Is CLA-8 lens adaptor necessary for Olympus C-8080?

Good question. In the past, the Olympus C-Series cameras adaptor attached to the rear and around the outside of the lens, so that it could zoom within the adapter. My guess is that is still the case and any lens that screws right onto the filter threads won't be optically correct. You could take it into a camera store, screw one on, take some pictures, and see how they come out. I think I'd stick with the Olympus lenses and adapters, though. Optics is one area where compromise is a bad idea. If you buy the Olympus stuff you can be sure it's going to work as good as possible.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Is CLA-8 lens adaptor necessary for Olympus C-8080?

Ah, that makes sense! I was wondering how that thing worked, with the shape it was. Makes sense that it goes on the back.

Ya, I think I will have to try one. I was assuming that it would only work with the lens at the max zoom. The threads aren't very wide, either, so I am wondering how well that would hold one of those big lenses.

Thanks for the info!

Thread Information