Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Christmas Camera For Niece

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a halfway decent camera for my Niece for Christmas.

I'm pretty sure she will use it more for just pictures of friends..etc.. So it doesn't need to be too in depth I'm looking to keep the price between $200 - $250 cuz I'm kinda strapped for cash right now.. Zoom doesn't need to be that big, a 3x optical would be fine. I was trying to find somethin in a color besides the basic black and silver, but seems like they go more for the looks than picture quality, and I don't see the sense in spending a few hundred bucks on something that looks great, but takes horrible pictures.

I know it's not going to be the best camera out there, cuz it's going to be on the lower end of the price range, but if someone could point me toward a halfway decent camera for her, I would really appreciate it. She either wanted a camera, or an ipod.. So, be honest and let me know if you think the money would be better spent on the ipod

Thanks for all the help,

Matt

Re: Christmas Camera For Niece

Matt-
    $200-250 is plenty of money for a digital camera now. The low end will be down between $100 and $150. And I think you can get a colored one, too. Since I'm a photographer, I think a camera is a much better idea than an ipod, too

A camera will encourage creativity, it willl help her save memories, and she'll learn with it. I think it's a much better gift in many ways.

For the kind of camera you're talking about, I think you should look at Casio, Fuji, Kodak, and Panasonic. Those companies have good, entry-level pocket cameras in a variety of colors. Look at 6 and 7-megapixel cameras because that's where you'll get the most for your money. And don't be fooled by marketing hype about megapixels. Six and seven-megapixel cameras will be just fine. A year ago everyone thought they were awesome. Here's a link to the our 6 to 7-megapixel camera reviews:

6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>

Hope that reassures and gives you some direction. If I have any other ideas I'll post again. But I think that should get you started and maybe you'll even find something right away.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'll look thru the guide, thanks.

I had a fuji 35 mm camera back before digital was heard of, then bought a Kodak DX6490 a few years ago.I just recently purchased my first DSLR (Rebel Xti) and love it. I was thinking about one of those 3 manufacturers since I have owned them before. I liked the Fuji Z10fd (she loves bright green) but all the reviews I've seen so far have said it was made more for looks. I know she isn't going to be as picky as I am about the quality of the picture, but I would be frustrated spending that money, to see her end up with quite a few noisy pictures. So, I was going to sacrifice her color for picture quality. Thanks for your help, and please do add to it if you think of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by BrdMan98
    I liked the Fuji Z10fd (she loves bright green) but all the reviews I've seen so far have said it was made more for looks. I know she isn't going to be as picky as I am about the quality of the picture, but I would be frustrated spending that money, to see her end up with quite a few noisy pictures.
    Noisy is relative. And when you look at reviews and discussions on the Web it's going to seem much worse than I think it really is. I reviewed the Z10fd's predecessor, the Z1, a couple of years ago. Although I didn't think the image quality was as good as other cameras available at the time, I still liked the camera just fine. And it is a nice design - especially for a pocket or purse camera. Will the image quality be as good as Canon or Sony? Probably not. Will it be good? I think so. Plus, think about who you're buying it for. It's probable that the design will please her more than image quality. She's not going to be going online and comparing sample photos at 100% is she?
    Photo-John

Fujifilm FinePix Pro Review

I meant to include a link to my Z1 review in that last post. It won't tell you so much about the image quality. But it's still valid as far as the camera design and performance go. No doubt, the new camera is faster, has more resolution, and better high ISO performance.

Fujifilm Z1 Review >>

Hope this helps. Try not to get too caught up in the image quality thing. It's important. But often, not as important as camera functionality. The truth is, almost all the current cameras have very nice image quality and performance. It's just a matter of whether you want the best image quality or if other features are more important. And in this case, I bet the camera's design is more important.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Plus, think about who you're buying it for. It's probable that the design will please her more than image quality. She's not going to be going online and comparing sample photos at 100% is she?
    But you know how hard that is to do right? ha ha.. I've actually had to make myself stop trying to buy a camera for myself, and make sure it's something she would be happy with. I also have to remind myself that when looking at compact, or ultra compact cameras, other areas are going to sacrifice. There is a good chance she would be happy with the z10fd, especially the bright green one, (I think she's be thrilled with any bright green camera, and that's the only one I've seen so far) and I agree with you, especially seeing as how she hasn't had a digital camera before, that she would be thrilled just being able to take pictures, and not overly worried about the quality, like I am.. Most cameras print out pretty well at 4x6, even if the image at 100 % is pretty noisy. The other thing I have to remember is that most people that review cameras have dealt with really good cameras, so obviously they wouldn't be impressed with a lower end camera.

I looked at the Casio Exilim can't remember the exact model, but circuit city had it bundled with an epson photo printer.. I'll have to try and narrow it down to a couple, then narrow it down from there.

Thanks again for the help, and if you think of anything else, be sure and let me know.

I agree with John, If all you are going to print are 4x6's almost anything would work. I would look at durability first if I were buying for a teenager. The Canon P&S cameras are pretty rugged in my book.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Just Remembered

I just remembered that I had a photo I took with the Fuji Z1 published. It was in a larger format mountain bike magazine. I sent it in to accompany an article. I was a little unsure and figured they wouldn't use it. But I liked it and thought I should at least send it. And they used it as a full page photo. I cringed a little because the quality wasn't up to my usual standards. But they told me they loved it and didn't have a clue. So there are two things to learn here - even a 5-megapixel P&S is capable of good photos if you shoot and set them up right. And second - quality is relative. It depends on the content of the photo, the viewer, etc. When I took the photo, the Fuji was the only camera I had on me. I was way out on a ride by myself and there was no way to get back to reshoot. So I did my best with what I had. Here's a link to that photo: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...hp?photo=15221
    Photo-John

Well, I did my little online research, and thought I would try and go to some stores to play with a few cameras today... That was a bust. Circuit City, guess I didn't seem rich enough to get anyone to ask me if I needed any help.. There were plenty of people standing around tho.. Then Office Depot, where they had about a whopping 6 different models out.. Then Office Max, where I actually got someone to help me, but as soon as I told him "I have a quick question about digital cameras" the first word out of his mouth was "Olympus" I'm not knocking any Olympus brands, but I don't like it when the sales person has 1 camera on their mind, and that is it.. Which seemed the case here, cuz after he told me about the Olympus, he ended up leaving... So, needless to say, I guess I'll do a little more research online, and get opinions from the people on this board.. Which seems to be working out much better.. ha ha... I'll just give it my best guess, then return it if it is something that she doesn't care for, prob. the best route for now...

And if you decide on music over pictures, DO NOT get an ipod. They are hype. Great marketing, fair product.

Creative, Cowon and Sandisk make much better products at each price point, but they make them less expensive. Far better audio, video and battery.

I can vouch for Sandisk, I have a 2Gig Sansa. The only problem I had with it was with Best Buy's subscription service. I had to upgrade to Windows XP just to use the free limited time subscription.

Love the Sansa though and cost 1/2 as much as my daughters Nano.

Anyway, this is a camera forum! Pretty much any model camera these days is going to do the trick. Look for some deals on last years models and maybe you can get both the Sansa and a Camera.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Thread Information