Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

CF card trouble.

Im having a problem with some of my sandisk ultra II CF cards. They have been extremely slow since i got them a few weeks ago. To the point where they process about 1 image every 6 seconds. My generic cards are faster then these. I format them on the camera and have even gone as far as formatting them on my computer. I shoot with a 20d and a 40d. I cant shoot in burst mode with these cards unless the camera is set for small Jpeg. There 2gig. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: CF card trouble.

Where did you get the cards? There are a lot of counterfeit cards being sold on ebay.

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk...00000001456539
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

That would appear to be the issue. Ebay at its finest. Thanks for the quick response.

Jeff

Yup, those don't sound like genuine cards. I'd be very leary about buying cards on ebay from a non-reputable seller.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Hi this is my 1st post and its help wih memory card i'm after is this the right place to ask?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Yes, here or in the HELP Files forum.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

HELP
    My wife borrowed my 2nd camera (its a Samsung NV3)
    as she was having a works management jolly.
    I told her its a small camera get in close and shoot lots pics.
    She came back with about 20 shots, I looked at them in the camers's view window most rubbish apart from one of the whole group that was OK.
    She then told me she had promised her MD that she would get the group photo to him in a couple days so he had time to include it in the staff magazine due out next month.
    Great I thought no problem,I checked the pic again on the camera and it still looked fine so I took the card out and put it in to my PC then horror it came up with
    The card in drive F is not formatted Do you want to format it now?
    I then thinking the photos had some how been saved on the camera's internal memory conected the camera directly into my PC but it showed only a test video clip on it NO photos.
    So I can only look at the photos on the camera but can not copy them to my PC.Can any one help me
    PLEASE :cryin:

There are flash drive recovery programs available. Can you still view them in your camera? Try uploading through a different mass storage device - a different memory reader, a printer, or the camera.

I tried I can only see the photos using the camera when I try using the memory card it comes up needing to be formatted I took it to a local photo shop and its machine could not read it.

In this case, I'd try the card in the camera again.

1) can you still see the photo on the camera screen?
    2) can you plug the camera into the computer, and see the photos on the memory card?
    3) can you copy the one image you want from the camera to the computer?
    4) can you copy images from camera internal memory to the computer?
    5) can you copy the one image you want from the memory card to the internal memory?

I had a problem like this with a brand new card that I just plugged into the camera and used. When it was full I couldn't read the images into the Hyperdrive to make a backup.
    So I used the old XS Drive instead, fortunately that worked.
    It worked fine reading the card from the camera on battery power, so I've re-learned to always format brand new cards in-camera before using them.
    PAul

1) can you still see the photo on the camera screen? YES
    2) can you plug the camera into the computer, and see the photos on the memory card? NO (all thats on the internal menu is a test video clip)
    3) can you copy the one image you want from the camera to the computer?NO
    4) can you copy images from camera internal memory to the computer?YES (but the ones I want are not there)
    5) can you copy the one image you want from the memory card to the internal memory?NO
    I think what has happened is the last time I used this card I downloaded all the photos from it to my PC put it back into my camera and forgot to formatt it.
    So as things stand I can see all the photos looking through my camera screen and thats it,as soon as I try to read it on my PC it says card is not formatted do I want to formatt now.
    Its a bl**dy mess its doing my head in being able to see photos but not able to get at them.I'm still waiting for Samsong to get back to me.(not holding my breath ) lol

Looking at the manual, I don't understand why they say this: "If you use a card reader to copy the images on the memory card to your PC, the images could be damaged. When transferring the images taken with the camera to your PC, be sure to use the supplied USB cable to connect the camera to your PC. Please note that the manufacturer holds no responsibility for loss or damage of images on the memory card due to the use of a card reader."

The manual also seems to go on about installing USB drivers, which aren't required by other manufacturers with Windows XP. Most odd.

So back to the problem, if you put the memory card in the camera then the camera will show the pictures on-screen. But if you then connect the camera to the computer, it can't see the pictures on the memory card?
    Not using a card reader, but using the camera in Computer connection mode.

I have had problem with SD cards and card readers, there seem to be two standards.
    My old card reader although it has an SD slot won't read the cards, but my new card reader will read them. So will my XS Drive II hard disk backup.
    So reading using the PC and a card reader can be hit and miss.
    PAul

I dont have a card reader as such I have memory card slots on the front of my PC.
    The one I am having trouble with is a 1GBTranscend Secure digital card

Since the camera is the only thing that cna read the image, you'll have to use the camera connected by USB I think.
    Do you have the cradle, or just the USB connecting/charging cord?
    PAul

Its just the USB lead but all that comes up is the card in drive K is not formatted do you want to format it now.All that changes using the camera direct is the card comes up as drive K and when I plug into my PC its drive F,can still do nothing with the photos that I can still see on my camera.

So you see nothing on drive f:
    But the camera will show the image.
    That's weird.
    It shouldn't be claiming it's not formatted if it can read the images.

Have Samsung UK come back with any ideas yet?
    PAul

Dear Smart Wombat
    I have just had a major computer crash and have lost lots of stuff most I have backed up and will get it all together in time but I have lost the my NV3 manual if you have it could you please send me the link. it has a number on it I need.ty blaster

Dear Smart Wombat
    Its ok I have every thing back in place lol don't need the link sorry to be hogging this help sevice

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Where did you get the cards? There are a lot of counterfeit cards being sold on ebay.

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk...00000001456539
    That "help" file seems to be little more than an advertisement for the seller who posted it. He offers to post the names of other "legitimate" suppliers, but only if they meet nearly impossible standards that have nothing to do with whether they are selling genuine or counterfeit cards, and the 1000 sales minimum before he'll deign to entertain the possibility of listing another seller on his "clean" list is obviously designed to try to eliminate small competitors who might undercut his prices with low overhead. He then goes on to try and scare people into using just his auctions by promising fines to anyone who unknowingly buys counterfeit cards. My sleaze meter's needle went pretty high when reading this. I don't want to see people selling counterfeit stuff on eBay, but I won't buy from that guy no matter what he's selling.

I took the card to a company that retrieves missing files this morning they rang me back at 2pm to tell me they had retrieved them,It cost me £10.
    I have then in front of me on my computer screen.
    Many thanks for all your imput.

Excellent !
    I have Image Rescue, Rescue Pro, and Don't Panic 2 on my computer just in case.
    Image Rescue came with my Lexar Pro card.
    Rescue Pro came with my Sandisk Extreme IV card.
    I actually bought Don't Panic 2.

The only one I've actually used in anger is Don't Panic and it got almost every image off the memory card, I only lost 2 or 3 I think.

Glad it's solved.
    PAul

Thread Information