Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Caught in the middle

Hey all, im just starting out and want to make the switch from Digicam to a DSLR. I've narrowed it down to 3 cameras but have no idea which one to get. The Sony a200, Nikon D40X and the front runner, Canon EOS 400D. I was wondering if there are any things that i should know regarding these cameras and suggestions would be great. Thanks!
    (I will be using it mostly for architectural, nature, sports and low lighting shots. not sure if this will effect the choice)

Re: Caught in the middle

Of course I would say the Canon. But that's only because my first SLR happened to be a Canon (EOS A2) and I stuck with their system ever since. I don't (seriously) believe it to be blasphemy to say that Nikon makes a great camera. In fact, their bodies actually fit my hands better than any other camera I've used. I think you could take the Pepsi challenge these days with any equipment manufacturer and not really see that much difference. That being said, Canon's supertele lenses seem to be highly regarded (look at the sidelines at football games), and Nikon's wide angle lenses have an excellent reputation. I believe (in my experience) that Canon's L series zoom lenses are better than Nikon's zooms, but it probably is just a bit of inherent bias on my part. Sony makes some pretty techy stuff but I haven't always heard of Minolta's lenses being show stoppers. There is a reason Nikon and Canon are the big two. One thing is certain however: Nikon's flash system kills Canon's.

So you may see that it really doesn't matter all that much what you pick so long as you like it and it fits your needs.

If you are doing architecture shots, try to pick up a perspective control lens. Both Canon and Nikon make two each, but I don't know about Minolta.

This post probably didn't help make your decision any easier, but there is a reason why another person's advice rarely will: the decision is yours and only yours.

OwlPig,

I too am a Canon user. Now with that said, forget it. It is important for me, not for you. There are several things you need to consider when switching from a P&S to a DSLR. First and foremost YOU ARE NOT buying a camera!!! You are buying a system. P&S cameras are just that, cameras. You get a box with a fixed lens and when something breaks, usually you are done with the thing. Go buy a new one.

A DSLR is a system, not a camera. You will have to choose lenses for your photographic needs, accessories for those same needs such as flash units, remote shutter releases, brackets, battery grips, etc. all depending on whether you need it or not for what you want to shoot. That it the first thing you need to do, figure out what it is that interests you in photography and then do a little homework on what equipment it takes to accomplish taking those kinds of photos.

One of the most important things to consider is lenses. Canon and Nikon have the most complete systems when it comes to lenses. That does not mean Sony or Pentax will not fit you needs. Only you can decide that. Lenses are a very important part of a DSLR system. Good glass, if properly cared for will last a lifetime of DSLR bodies. Unlike a P&S, when you outgrow a DSLR body you get a new body. You have glass that will work on it if you plan well. You need to first decide on what areas you are most interested in when it comes to photography and look at systems that have the glass to fill you needs.

Next, physically go look at the camera bodies that you are interested in. Hold them, check control placement and ease of use for you. Find the ones that fit in your hands the best for you. When you do try them with accessories like battery grips. If you use long lenses a battery grip can make the camera more manageable and comfortable to use. Take a look at the other accessories that you will be interested in for the future.

Now take a look at the features that the bodies offer that you need. Not all the features on a particular camera body are really needed. Shutter speed range, useable ISO range, types of exposure metering and focus metering are some of the important ones. Other things like "Live view" are IMO pretty much useless in normal situations and of limited value in most others.

If you can, take some memory cards with you when you go to check out the cameras and shoot some pictures with each one. Same shots, same settings with comperable lenses and then take them home and take a look at them. Shoot jpg's as any computer should be able to open a jpg file.

Now you are ready to decide on what system is right for you. This may sound like a bunch of hard work and in some ways it is, but there is one thing I have learned in 35+ years in photography and that is, if YOU are not happy or comfortable with the equipment you have, you will not use it and your interest will wain. If you love your equipment you will want to use it as much as possible. Good luck in making you decision.

Thanks for all the replies! after reading and some research, im now down to 2, the canon and sony. the problem is that im still on the fence with this choices! But im heading down to some shops this weekend to test both cameras out and hopefully make my final decision. Thanks for you help guys! But if you do have other suggestions please do let me know! (:

canon ftw
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Quote Originally Posted by OwlPig
    after reading and some research, im now down to 2, the canon and sony.
    I'm curious as to why you dropped the Nikon?

banished

canon and sony are both my love

Well, first, the Nikon is a little more expensive and alot of people are telling me about the built in AF for the lens and how its more expensive then those lens for canon and sony. Because im on a budget and need AF (im just stating out and really rely on the anti shake of Sony and built in AF for Canon and Sony).

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

If you are taking a lot of architecture photos, and will need an expensive tilt-shift lens, then that might be a factor in favour of Canon.

Otherwise I think the built-in stabilisation in the camera is a point in favour of Sony, Pentax, and Olympus.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

The in Camera IS is a great feature. I use it quite often. I would also consider if the models had sensor cleaning as well. Also read the reviews and see about noise levels at different ISO settings. It really depends on what type photography you are it to. If you plan on a lot of night photography then noise could be a bigger factor.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Hey guys. I've already bought the camera. I decided to get the Canon 400D. Thanks for all your help in deciding! Really helped me in my decision.

Thread Information