Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Canon T1i or Nikon D5000 purchase? (<--newbie question here)

Hi all -
    I'm getting ready to buy my 1st DSLR camera for a college class. I've got it narrowed down to 2 choices:
    • Canon Rebel T1i
      Nikon D5000

Anyone have an opinion between these two they would like to share? :idea:

Thanks!

Last edited by dgates12; 06-23-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: no responses

banished

Re: Canon T1i or Nikon D5000 purchase? (<--newbie question here)

Nikon is one of the best company in camera making.It has really good features in its products.I will go with Nikon D5000

The Nikon has an articulating LCD, the T1i has a wider AF lens selection, I'd go with the Canon. There are other brands out there too, Sony, Olympus.

JimB

degates12
    both manufactures makes excellent cameras and lenses. You can't go wrong with either.
    In my opinion, Nikon has better lenses (superior glass), but not as wide selection as Canon has. The Canon T1i has more resolution but anything over 10 megapixel the differences is mute. To me all Nikons feels better in the hand and feels more solid but a bit heavy compared to Canon, but Canon is lighter and easier on the neck and hand walking around on a day trip trying to find a picture to full fill your home work assignment for your photography class.

Hopes this helps

Good Luck

JimB

Quote Originally Posted by JimB
    Nikon has better lenses (superior glass)
    I agree with most of your post, but I think it's pretty hard to argue that Nikon has better glass. The good stuff from both companies is excellent. I've used plenty of both and I can't really say I have a preference. I think the most important thing is to weight out your true needs and what each system and camera has to offer. Between those two cameras I'd choose the Nikon because I think it has better low light image quality and I really like the tilt-swivel LCD.

On the other hand, in the long run, which of these two cameras isn't going to make that much difference. Chances are, your camera body will be replaced in a couple of years. And for that reason it's the system and the lenses that matter the most. It's hard to predict what either company is planning and they both leapfrog each other technologically. But right now it seems like Nikon has been focusing on image quality and Canon has been putting the majority of their energy into video. So if video is important, Canon might be the way to go (although the tilt-swivel LCD is a big argument for the D5000 if you want to comfortably shoot video). And if you do a lot of high speed or low light shooting, the D5000 is probably best because you can use higher ISO settings with less image quality compromise.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information