Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Canon or Panasonic??

Hi guys, I am looking to purchase a basic P&S camera for my girlfriend for around £150. I quite like the look of the Canon Ixus 100is, but keep seeing good reviews for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS10. Can anyone steer me in the right direction, or possibly suggest a better alternative?

banished

Re: Canon or Panasonic??

Canon.Just go for it.

Re: Canon or Panasonic??

I agree that Canon's point-and-shoots have great image quality. But for the past couple of years I've felt that Panasonic's feature set has been better. The biggest difference between the Canon IXUS 100 IS (SD780 IS here in the US) and the Panasonic Lumix FS10 (FH1 in the US) is the Panasonic has a 5x zoom lens compared to the Canon 3x optical zoom. Both have the same resolution and 720p HD video. Based on my experience with both camera makes, the Canon may have slightly better image quality. However, the Panasonic is year newer (if I remember right) and that might equalize the image quality. Ultimately, I think the FS10's extra zoom is more useful than any image quality edge the Canon might have. So I'd go with the Panasonic
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information