Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Canon camera troubles -E18 error

I have had a canon A70 for about 16 months. I tried to take good care of it, and thought I had been doing a good job of it, but last weekend, while taking some MTB photos, the camera lens wouldn't close, and i started receiving the E18 error message. I did some research and found this error is fairly common. Anyone here had trouble with this? If so, anyone find a fix??? It seems like the camera is broken for good, based on other people's experiences. If I cant fix it, i need a new camera, but worry about buying another Canon P&S if they are plagued by this problem. Anyone have any suggestions?? I was thinking about the S410. Is this camera better built, or better sealed?? I assume lens troubles are likely to be worse with a subcompact camera because it has smaller parts, and what not. Any other brands make a quality pocket sized camera that will handle MTB riding, and skiing. Thanks, Sasquatch

Camera Lifetimes

sasquatch-
    I'm not sure what expected lifetimes on digital cameras are. But with the way you're using your camera, 16 months doesn't seem too bad. I know they cost a lot so it's an expensive disposable item. But that's the way it goes these days. If you want to use a sophisticated electronic item in the outdoors, in all kinds of weather, I wouldn't expect it to last too long. And as far as reliability goes, I don't know that you'll find anything better. Check out the larger Olympus, Sony, and Canon digicams. I expect the larger ones are built better and you're probably right about smaller moving parts being more likely to fail. But if you want something that's really going to last, I think you're going to have to spend more. I haven't found the compact digital outdoor camera yet. The best all-around ride camera I ever had was a 35mm Yashica T4 Super. That camera was bombproof and the lens ruled.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the reply. I guess 16 months is likely the expected lifespan of a low end electronic device that goes into the outdoors in rain and dust and all. I ended up getting the camera working again, but it's only a matter of time before it wuits for good. I will probably buy another Canon. I was told the elphs are much more solidly built and should be able to handle more abuse. I don't want anything biger than the A70 or else I'll never take it out with me. Thanks for the comments, and thanks for all the great pics you post on MTBR. It's inspiring to see what I could create if i invested in some nice equipment, but I enjoy the P&S style (plus Im too slow to set up a manual pic before my riding pals pass me). I found lotsa info on the E18 error, and wasn't sure how common it is, but i guess there are millions of canon cams out there so it's likely less than 5% that ever get this error, sucks that it happened to me though. Later, Sasquatch

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    sasquatch-
    I'm not sure what expected lifetimes on digital cameras are. But with the way you're using your camera, 16 months doesn't seem too bad. I know they cost a lot so it's an expensive disposable item. But that's the way it goes these days. If you want to use a sophisticated electronic item in the outdoors, in all kinds of weather, I wouldn't expect it to last too long. And as far as reliability goes, I don't know that you'll find anything better. Check out the larger Olympus, Sony, and Canon digicams. I expect the larger ones are built better and you're probably right about smaller moving parts being more likely to fail. But if you want something that's really going to last, I think you're going to have to spend more. I haven't found the compact digital outdoor camera yet. The best all-around ride camera I ever had was a 35mm Yashica T4 Super. That camera was bombproof and the lens ruled.

i have this problem too

Nirvana Cannabis Seeds - Straight from the breeder!

Thread Information