Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Cannon Powershot G2 Vs. Konica Minolta Dimage Z2

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. I have joined others forums such as this for questions on DVD cameras and authering ( www.dvdrhelp.com ) and I have always gotten great help and support and I am hopng that you guys and gals can help me with a Issue.

Currently I have a 4.0 Megapixel Canon Powershot G@ and it is great. The lense is awesome the pictures are sharp and colorful, but now I am looking at trading up to the Dimage z2. The main reason being the 10x Optical zoom (G2 only has 3). In addition the Dimage z2 has a faster autofocus feature for sports photography.

I have read reviews on the Dimaze z2 that have said theat the color rpresentation and lense quality is not quite up to par compared to Canons lense....Does any one have any Feed Back?

Which one should I go with? The Dimage is about 500, should I save the $$ and wait to do up to Digital SLR?

Thanks

Peplogic

Be strong - hold out for the DSLR !

I'm in a somewhat similar position to you. I've got the G2, and while I'm happy enough with the photos I'm getting, I'm thinking of upgrading. However, I am definately going to a DSLR. I miss the feel you can only get using an SLR, I've got some nice Canon lenses that I really miss using, and I was very disappointed when I bought a 420EX flash and discovered that my G2 can't use the focus assist light on the flash. I also feel that my focus control over the G2 leaves something to be desired, with some shots unexpectedly out of focus when viewed on the computer, despite looking fine when zoomed on the camera LCD.

I feel that to upgrade from one P&S digital to a more expensive and better appointed P&S digital is not really much of an upgrade. Sure you get more zoom, but I think you'd be better off squirreling away $100 per month for a few more months, and then get yourself the 300D (or Nikon equivalent). If you already own SLR lenses from one manufacturer, then that is even more reason to hold out for the DSLR.

But this is my problem w/ going right to DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by lukechip
    I'm in a somewhat similar position to you. I've got the G2, and while I'm happy enough with the photos I'm getting, I'm thinking of upgrading. However, I am definately going to a DSLR. I miss the feel you can only get using an SLR, I've got some nice Canon lenses that I really miss using, and I was very disappointed when I bought a 420EX flash and discovered that my G2 can't use the focus assist light on the flash. I also feel that my focus control over the G2 leaves something to be desired, with some shots unexpectedly out of focus when viewed on the computer, despite looking fine when zoomed on the camera LCD.

I feel that to upgrade from one P&S digital to a more expensive and better appointed P&S digital is not really much of an upgrade. Sure you get more zoom, but I think you'd be better off squirreling away $100 per month for a few more months, and then get yourself the 300D (or Nikon equivalent). If you already own SLR lenses from one manufacturer, then that is even more reason to hold out for the DSLR.
    I dont have any other lenses for DSLR cameras, or any other lenses at all. My fear is that you spend 900+ for the DSLR camera and you know I dont even know how much lenses are.........do you need one for Zoom....one for wide angles....so on and so forth,, Do DSLR cameras come with one standard lense?

Thanks

Liz

Options...options....options

Just a few suggestions that might help here - from a previous owner of a G2 and a present owner of the Rebel 300D.

I went from a G2 to a G3 because I wanted a longer zoom, and I was never happy about what I spent $500 for. So I ended up selling it within a few months and getting the digital Rebel kit. This is one option. The lens in the kit is decent, but I was used to great quality pics and soon sold the kit lens. However, I had a 50mm/f1.8 (you can get it for $75 new at B&H), and this lens is excellent and very sharp. Personally I would get the 50mm vs the kit. However, the 18-55mm on the kit isn't bad - you just have to be careful of the lighting when you're shooting as it's soft in low light vs the 50 which is always sharp.

Since you sound like you take photography seriously, I think the DSLR will be an eye-opener as to how great photography can be. You can't compare the digital P&S to the DSLR. Even if you can only afford one lens, use your legs until you can get a better zoom or more primes. The 50mm is a very good lens with good quality.

I've had the digital Rebel for 6 months and love every minute I use it - still get that same thrill as the first time I took it out of the box.

BTW B&H has the body alone for $819. $80 will get you the 50mm lens plus shipping.

The kit is now $899 ($100 cheaper than it was a couple weeks ago).

Check out the link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=297500&is=REG

Check the specs....

[COLOR=DarkRed]Think about it[/COLOR] ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by peplogic
    I dont have any other lenses for DSLR cameras, or any other lenses at all. My fear is that you spend 900+ for the DSLR camera and you know I dont even know how much lenses are.........do you need one for Zoom....one for wide angles....so on and so forth,, Do DSLR cameras come with one standard lense?

Thanks

DSLR Vs Point and Shoot

Liz,

you make some very good points, but ultimately I dont know if I will utilize the benfits of the DSLR Cannon. I mean I am a new father and got the G2 to take baby pictures....about 800 in 6 months(Not Bad Huh) later I find that I want more zoom. I like the Idea of a DSLR, but I rarely use any other setting then Automatic , so I dont know if it would make sense to drop all that coin on a DSLR. Ultimately the feature I need most is optical zoom......the Dimage Z2 offers that features and it under 500$

I have heard however that the Z2 has Color issues, and that the lense is perhaps not as good as Canon....any opinion on the dimage lense ?

Thanks

Pep

Some perspective

I often get questions from my students and others on this very same issue. I usually advise them to think about USAGE more than any other factor. If you are going to be looking at and sharing your pictures on the web or printing them as snapshots or 8x10 enlargements, you will not see that much of a difference between the lens quality offered by a good digicam and a basic DSLR.

The digicam also has a few other advantages over a DSLR -- it is lighter in weight, and some of them, such as the Canon G2 you mention, also offer swiveling viewfinders, which are very useful in getting low level shots from the ground, as well as over the head, high vantage point shots.

Unlike a DSLR, digicams with swiveling viewfinders can be used at waist level, meaning you can make pictures of people without hiding behind a camera. You will be less intrusive by using a digicam instead of a DSLR.

A digicam also offers a live picture preview on your LCD screen. With a DSLR, you get a good idea of what your picture might look like as seen through its lens, but you can't actually view your picture in two-dimensinal digital form until after the picture is made.

On the other hand, a DSLR offers less shutter lag, much finer detail for very large prints, and a greater array of lens choices. But at a much greater price in both dollars and ounces. With a digicam you are limited to the limits of it zoom, and its converter lenses, if available.

Don't get caught up in the megapixel game. A four or five megapixel digicam can make wonderfully detailed images for web use and for prints up to 8x10. Images from a six megapixel DSLR will look almost identical in these forms.

I used the Canon G2 for a number of years with wideangle and telephoto converters, and found it to be far more versatile a tool than the "point and shoot" label some have given it. I now use the Canon G5 because of its longer zoom range. The effect of the extra megapixel is negligible.

I have no plans to move to a DSLR, mainly because of the weight issue. I have addressed the shutter lag issue by recently adding a Leica Digilux 2, which works very well as a travel camera used in tandem with my G5.

You can view examples made with the G2, G5, and Leica Digilux 2 digicams in my web galleries at www.pbase.com/pnd1, and http://www.worldisround.com/home/pnd1/index.html

Ultimately, keep in mind that cameras themselves do not make pictures. Photographers make pictures. A camera is only a tool, a means to an end. The passion, vision, creativity and thought you put into a picture makes much more difference than the relative sharpness of a lens or number of frames you can expose in a second.

Hope this perspective proves useful.

Phil
    Phil Douglis
    Director, The Douglis Visual Workshops
    Phoenix, Arizona
    pnd1@cox.net

http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

http://www.worldisround.com/home/pnd1/index.html

http://www.funkytraveller.com/Pages/travelogues/travelphotophild.htm

Wow Phil

Thanks for the detailed answer. You make many good points. Ultimately I would like to take photography classed which is one of the reasons I am looking to upgrade the camera and that is specific to lens choices for differant types of photogrpahy, The ability to take multiple shot per second is becoming a important factor and my G2 isnt going to cut it. I do believe I will save up and go for the Digital Rebel, but now I am confronted with Lense choice. The Digital Rebel comes with a kit lense that is at best a decent lense (18-55).

Primarily I will be doing sports photogrpahy, can you recomend a lense for a digital rebel? IT doesn't need to be super telephoto...just enough to stand on the side lines and zoom in to the person, not necessarily all the way to the face....I get confused on zoom lense and how much is enough and not overkill.. I know that Cannon makes an L series lense, but that is way to much for the type of camera I am trying to buy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

well, I have not regrets with the purchase of my Z2.... sao far no problems with color. Have actually taken some really nice pictures (links avaible upon request) .... for me most are car related, and motor sports related. I was looking for an affordable camera that I could have some decent control over the manual functions. Since many of my photos are taken a 'night' events, when it gets dark, the 'auto' mode doesnt really cut it. Most all of my pictures were taken in manual mode. The Dimage GT Lens is said to be one of the better lenses on the market for mid level digital cameras. I'm about to buy a wide angle and telephoto lens for this camera. I'm also going to check out some of the filters available to see if I can get some better results outdoors. I dont have much experience with other makes/types of cameras, but for now this one has been great for me.

Although, if your looking for zoom, i'd really consider this camera, as well as my second choice before purchasing this Camera, the Canon Powershot S1 .... they are both 10X, but after comparing the reviews, price and my needs, I ended up buying the Dimage Z2..... I've only had it a month, but I've already taken about 300 shots...

Sports lenses

Hi, Peplogic,

If sports photography is your priority, a DSLR is essential.

You should choose a zoom lens with a focal length starting at over 100mm and reaching to at very least 400mm. The key to effective sports photos is being able to make distant details in facial expressions visible, and at the same time soften cluttered backgrounds to draw attention to your subject. Any longer than 500mm is usually overkill, and anything under 200mm is marginal.

If you want to go with the Rebel, take a look at Canon's 100-300mm EOS "EF" USM lens. B&H sells it for $280, which is very reasonable. At f/4.5-5.6, it's a bit slow for indoor sports, but should work well for daytime events outdoors.

Remember that the Rebel's 1.6x "magnification factor" will turn this into a 160mm-480mm lens, which should be long enough for you to reach your goals. Just make sure that you use fast shutter speeds, and if need be, higher ISO settings, to stop action and avoid blurring due to camera shake.

Hope this gives you a starting point,

Phil
    Phil Douglis
    Director, The Douglis Visual Workshops
    Phoenix, Arizona
    pnd1@cox.net

http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

http://www.worldisround.com/home/pnd1/index.html

http://www.funkytraveller.com/Pages/travelogues/travelphotophild.htm

Peplogic,

I'm with Phil on this one, sports will be largely frustrating without an SLR. I suggest a 70-200 f/2.8 with 1.4x teleconverter to start with. It will give you the focal range for most popular sports and the light gathering ability for faster shutter speeds and better background seperation.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sports Photography.....

If I went with 70MM lense with Auto Zoom.....What would the Minumum focus range be?

P.s.

You guys Rock....Thanks for the help...I know it can be frustrating "Showing Some one the Light"!

Peplogic

Thread Information