Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera for up to ~200 $

I'm buying new digital camera with price range up to ~200 $. It will be used in volunteer fire brigade, mostly for snaping photos in interventions, which tells a lot about type of camera.
    It's important that it does well in bad conditions, so I don't have to wait 10 seconds before weak flash refills when taking pictures at night. Therefore I expect good picture quality, response (speed), good focusing in poor conditions (low light, smoke...) and good image stabilization. I believe camera will be used mostly on AUTO mode. Of course, I don't need technologies such as panorama, face recognition, etc.

Thank you for you help in advance.
    Regards

Waterproof and Shockproof

Quote Originally Posted by krneki
    good focusing in poor conditions (low light, smoke...)
    This is the tricky part of your request. Those conditions are tough for focusing even with cameras that cost thousands of dollars. So I would recommend dialing back your expectations a bit when it comes to focusing in dark, smoky environments. I think your best bet is going to be a waterproof, shockproof camera that's a generation or so old. The new ones mostly cost about $400. But if you buy one that came out last year, you should be able to find something in your price range. Here's an article I wrote on "rugged" waterproof point-and-shoot cameras for outdoor shooters:

Outdoor And Waterproof Digital Cameras >>

That article hasn't been updated since last year so the cameras should all be priced lower now.

Take a look at the Olympus Stylus 1050 SW. I reviewed it early in 2009 and it's still available for a bit over $200. Here's a link to my pro review:

Olympus Stylus 1050 SW Pro Review >>

I hope that gets you pointed in the right direction. I'm sure you have more questions. I'll check back and do my best to answer. I do think a waterproof, shockproof camera is the way to go.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Camera for up to ~200 $

Thanks for help, but could you also suggest few classic, non waterproof cameras? As far as I know, these offer better image quality within the same price range. Since image quality is my highest priority, they might be better choice for me, I would just need to take care a little bit more that camera doesn't get in touch with water.

Thread Information