Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera review for iPhone 4?

I'm considering upgrading to the iPhone 4, with the hopes that the camera is significantly better. The camera on my iPhone 3GS is terrible and I'm sure everyone here is aware that 5 megapixels is not necessarily any better than 3 megapixels. Currently I only use it if I have no access to any other camera. I would like to make my iPhone my secondary camera behind my SLR, but currently I still carry a P&S to serve this purpose.

So, can any of you who have purchased the new iPhone already comment on how well the camera works?

Re: Camera review for iPhone 4?

I think the iPhone 3GS camera is excellent, but I think I have a different expectation for a phone camera than you might. From what I've seen the difference is primarily in color saturation and vibrance, not much difference otherwise. Here is a link comparing the two

http://carrypad.com/2010/06/25/iphon...eo-and-photos/

We discussed it a bit here:

The new iPhone 4

The images you get from the iPhone4 are quite good. However it's not a camera. You have no control over what it's doing apart from focus point and whether the flash is auto or not

- If I have nothing else I will use the iPhone 4. It's with me all the time (I stopped wearing a wristwatch ages ago)
    - If I have my point-and-shoot with me then I will use it unless I have a DSLR in which case I will use that
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Tonight I did my first serious shoot with the iPhone 4 - a leaving party at the office.

Rubbish.

If the subject is moving at all (indoors subject) then the image is blurred (it goes up to 1000 ISO only once it's got down to 1/15s). And the flash doesn't seem to make any difference

It's not too bad outdoors but for interiors even a basic point-and-shoot would be better
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information