Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Re: The new Canon Pixma's - 9000/9500

Best phone camera to buy if i want to replace digital camera? Whats the best phone camera available, with the highest res/framerate for video as well. I want to replace my digital camera and my phone. Not bothered about what else the phone does as long as its not huge, the camera is good, has a flash, the video quality is good as well. Found that phones often compromise on the video quailty.

Canon User

Re: Camera Phone To Replace Digital Camera

Adam Hanson
    http://www.myspace.com/phatspeedmotorsports
    Canon PowerShot A470

What happened to phones being phones?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Marketing, and a desire to increase revenue by pushing data traffic on transmission of pictures and video.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Ugh

If there's a Telephone/PDA/Smartphone which is also a good camera then I'm not aware of it. My current one (HTC Touch Diamond) does 3Mpix pictures which are not too bad but the handling is a disaster. Yesterday I took it out to do some pictures of people queueing for the tramway after an incident, did two shots then I guess I touched the wrong button because it went into screen alignment mode and wouldn't do any more pictures.

You want a good camera - buy a camera, not a telephone. At least today.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I agree with franglais, even the best camera phone is pretty weak compared to a real camera. Probably most relevant to you, kayanat - every "flash" I've seen on a cell-phone camera (including the one linked in this thread), doesn't have a 'flash' so much as it has a cheap, weak flashlight.

the iphone is not bad. But I wouldn't to see how the pics look when printed.

3.2 on my Blackberry touch but looks like crap when compaired to even my cheap olympus 4 mp camera
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 18 - 200mm VR f 3.5 - 5.6G
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G
    Nikkor 18 - 120mm VR Kit Lens

Samsung is about to release an 8.1MP cellphone cam, but you don't get an optical zoom which means you're stuck with digital zoom and that only blows up and pixelates the image. But if you want a high quality snapshot of daily life without having a camera in your pocket as well, then I'd be waiting for it.

The other issue is that cellphone cameras have an intolerable shutter lag, which if you ask me completely discounts them for anything remotely serious.

Chasseurs d'Images says

My favourite (French) photo magazine has just done a review of telephone/PDA/cameras. Things are looking more promising than I thought. There are now devices with 8Mpix sensors and a decent lens and a decent flash and a dedicated button to push

The winner seems to be the LG Renoir followed by the Samsung Pixion and Sony Ericsson C905. The Nokia N85 is also a possibility.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information