Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Camera bag

Camera bag

I am looking for a nice camera backpack to store my D90 along with a lens or 2. Looking for it to be able to hold a laptop and a small storage compartment as well. I bought a Tamrec Adveture 9 but it just doesnt work. The compartment is WAY too deep. Accourding to the spec its supposed to be 6" but it actually measures out to a good 6.5". When I sit the camera in the center area there is just way too much room for the body to move around. The D90 is only about 4.5" high. I have been looking around online and most of the packs are around 6" deep. I can only see that working for big camera bodies like the D3 or something with a grip on it. Am I missing something? Why are all these packs so deep?

Re: Camera bag

Have you tried adjusting the dividers? I would rather have a bag that's too deep than one that isn't deep enough. You can always move a divider underneath the body or lens to take up some of that extra space.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It says in the spec that it's designed for a professional DSLR. I guess the manufacturers think that only a professional is going to want to have a DSLR AND a portable PC with him at the same time. I take my portable PC with me on trips but I don't carry it around with me all day. I only use it in the hotel in the evening.

OK the D90 moves around inside a padded compatment. I don't really see this as being a problem. I don't see how you could fix it with dividers anyway

(Attatched = product image from manufacturer site)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    It says in the spec that it's designed for a professional DSLR. I guess the manufacturers think that only a professional is going to want to have a DSLR AND a portable PC with him at the same time. I take my portable PC with me on trips but I don't carry it around with me all day. I only use it in the hotel in the evening.

OK the D90 moves around inside a padded compatment. I don't really see this as being a problem. I don't see how you could fix it with dividers anyway

(Attatched = product image from manufacturer site)

I don't carry my laptop around all day either, but being able to put in in the pack allows me to bring both my pc and camera equip with me as a carry on. Instead of risking either being damaged backed with luggage. I know im not a pro and have a $3000 body but I don't care how padded it is, I dont feel comfortable have my pride and joy sliding all around in there. As for the picture the camera being shown is not pushed in as far as it will go, so it makes the add very mis leading.

I've been through this as well. Originally I had a combined computer + camera backpack but it was too unweildy to use in cities. Now I keep the portable PC in a neoprene sleeve which goes into some other bag for travelling. I have a shoulderbag for use in towns. For flights I have no worries about putting it in the middle of my clothes in my big rigid suitcase. I keep my camera kit in a bag which is just the right size for the gear.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Good place to start. http://www.cambags.com/
    Look at the different styles and figure out what style you want.
    Then look at the different bags in that style. The reviews will tell you how much gear it can it can hold.
    Finally, if you have a camera shop in your area, go there and physically handle the bags. See which one suits you needs. Camera bags are to photographers what purses are to most women.

Thread Information