Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera for artist

Hi I am a decorative artist and need to upgrade my current Canon Powershot SD630 to something that is better at taking interior and low light shots. I have a hard time getting the detail of decorative wall finishes I have done. I would also be using the camera for video and would like to have the burst mode because I have some eagles on my property and want to get some better shots of them. I don't want to pay more than $400, which translates to $400 regular price, but will shop for much lower price.

Thanks for any help. Happy Easter!

Re: Camera for artist

Welcome to the site, katers! I hope we can help you find a camera that you'll be happy with.

Any chance you can show us a sample of the kind of problems you're having photographing your art with the SD630? I'd like to make sure we can't help you with your technique before we start recommending new cameras. I mean, I'm all for new cameras. But if it's a lighting or technique problem, then a new camera probably won't solve the problem.

For wildlife photos, the most important thing is a long lens. You can get compact digital cameras now with as much as 30x optical zoom. That might be your best bet. I do believe they're in your price range, too. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Casio, Panasonic, Kodak, Pentax and Fujifilm all make them.

Please post a sample of your art so we have a better idea of what your problem is. In the meantime, here are a couple of superzoom camera links to give you an idea of what a has to offer:
    Fujifilm Finepix HS10 Superzoom Camera At PMA
    Kodak EasyShare Z980 Pro Review

I think this will get you started. You should have more questions after looking at the two links above. I'll keep my eye on this post so I can help you out
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ok here is one example. I tried many times to get a good picture of this room. I cannot pick up the detail of this stucco finish at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera for artist-img_0631.jpg  

Are you using a tripod? I don't know if the camera you have has a 'aperture priority' mode but setting it to a high aperture (f/11+) on a tripod would give much more detail. The reason you would need a tripod is because it would have a long shutter speed and would need the camera to be still.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Can you give us the exif data or if you load it directly from your computer we could see the exif?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I have no idea what exif data means. This photo has been on my computer for over a year now.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Exif is data recorded by the camera and can be retrieved. Tell what aperture, shutter speed, focal distance, metering mode, etc. Programs can retrieve this info on images displayed on the web. Not sure why yours doesn't come up if it was loaded from your comp. Usually can't be retrieved if shots are from places like shutterfly.

It does appear that this was shot with a slow shutter speed causing some camera movement.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the sample, katers. It would be good to see the EXIF data so we know what your ISO and shutter speed were, but this photo still helps. If I understand correctly, you want to see texture of the stucco on the walls? For that, lighting is going to make a big difference. You need shadows to really see texture. That means some light coming from the side. I also think you're going to need closer, detail shots to really show it well. Our brains do a lot of visual data juggling to help us see things that the camera isn't necessarily able to capture. Part of the photographer's challenge is to figure out ways to make things more obvious that the camera might not capture well. In the case of subtle textures, I think lighting is going to make a big difference for you.

I also think I see some significant noise / grain in this photo. That's likely because you're shooting indoors in low light in an auto setting. If that's the case, then your camera probably automatically chose a high sensitivity setting to help brighten up the scene. The problem with that is high sensitivity always means more noise. And more noise will obscure fine details like the stucco you want to show. Someone already suggested a tripod to help steady the camera. That's a great idea. In fact, I think a tripod is mandatory for the kind of photos you're trying to take. It will also make it possible for you to use the lowest ISO settings and slow shutter speeds, thereby getting sharper, more detailed photos - even in low light. A new camera will also help with that. But even if you do buy a new camera, you should still be using a tripod.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ok, a tripod is on my list. I know that I need a new camera. The one I currently use is not rated well for low light conditions.

I do use the automatic setting the most..Just because I am not sure how to properly use the camera. I miss the days of the old 35mm camera when it was easier to figure out the settings.

So any suggestions on a good camera to get?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I think any dSLR currently on the market will do the job for you for the interior shots. As for shooting eagles, I'm afraid your budget probably won't get the results you're looking for - not because of the dSLR, but rather the expense of the lenses generally required.

Quote Originally Posted by katers
    I do use the automatic setting the most..Just because I am not sure how to properly use the camera. I miss the days of the old 35mm camera when it was easier to figure out the settings.
    It should actually be a LOT easier to tinker around and figure things out now with the instant feedback and low cost of digital.

For interiors, you need to be proficient with the use/control of mixed lighting. In addition, a wide angle lens (24mm to 28mm in 35mm film equivalent) is a must. Wider generally the better. Depth of field generally trumps shutter speed and ISO so expect shutter speeds in the 2 to 4 second range using the lowest possible ISOs with most interiors using mostly ambient lighting.

In other words, it will take more than just a new camera. Perfect your technique inside your own house.

I think Canon's XS is more than sufficient for this type of work. I'm not familiar enough with the other brands to say one way or another. But again, you don't need knock out AF capability, high FPS, nor fast glass to do this type of work.

Hope that helps.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Has anyone any input on the new Sony HX5 camera? Maybe it is more than I need?

Thread Information