Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera advise please

I am about to buy my first digital camera & would like some advice.
    I asked my brother in law for advice as well & he is saying I would be better with optical zoom & not digital,personally I don't know the difference.

What I want is a camera that takes good clear photos,I don't need anything fancy with it it,it'll just be photos of the family it's used for really.

Here are my choices,I'm a bit limited because it will be coming from a mail order catalogue.

Kodak CX7300 £89 (This was my very first choice)
    Kodak CX7330 £120
    Olympus C160 £99
    Olympus C370 £125

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Camera advise please

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I am about to buy my first digital camera & would like some advice.
    I asked my brother in law for advice as well & he is saying I would be better with optical zoom & not digital,personally I don't know the difference.

What I want is a camera that takes good clear photos,I don't need anything fancy with it it,it'll just be photos of the family it's used for really.

Here are my choices,I'm a bit limited because it will be coming from a mail order catalogue.

Kodak CX7300 �89 (This was my very first choice)
    Kodak CX7330 �120
    Olympus C160 �99
    Olympus C370 �125

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
    The Olympus C370, and the Kodak CX7330 are your best choices. I would however chose the olympus over the kodak because it is just a little better in every catagory.

As for digi zoom as opposed to optical. Well there is a very big difference. With optical zoom, while you are still zooming in the sensor is still seeing a full frame. As for digi zoom all you get is an illusion of of zoom, as it simply crops the senor and gives you a lower quality image.

Here is a side by side of the two cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...d535z&show=all

Hope this helps,

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Olympus would get chosen every time by the more technically minded.. but Kodak do aim their cameras at people who know nothing about photography and do place the emphasis on the "easy to use" factor..

if olympus have started doing this its probably only down to the growing popularity and sales of the kodak range.. there are a lot more happy kodak "snappers" out there than olympus ones..

for u.. i would say go kodak.. he he..

trog100
    Last edited by trog100; 02-17-2005 at 09:48 AM.

You have a very good point there trog. I really must start thinking like a non-photographer when I answer these questions.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

he he he.. the problem here of course is that we could tell every newcomer who just wants an easy to use camera to take "nothing special" pics of family and friends.. to go Kodak..

wouldnt be a lot to say then thow would there.. he he he..

only joking.. thow praps not.. he he

trog100

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    he he he.. the problem here of course is that we could tell every newcomer who just wants an easy to use camera to take "nothing special" pics of family and friends.. to go Kodak..

wouldnt be a lot to say then thow would there.. he he he..

only joking.. thow praps not.. he he

trog100

Whoops,accidenatally reported post instead of replying to it

Anyway,thanks to both of you,I finally settled on the Olympus C370 as it was in stock & the Kodak wasn't.

I've taken a few pics with it & so far it seems ok.I do tnd to read & reread manuals til I understand things so hopefully I won't have too much of a problem.

Thanks again to both of oyu.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Whoops,accidenatally reported post instead of replying to it

Anyway,thanks to both of you,I finally settled on the Olympus C370 as it was in stock & the Kodak wasn't.

I've taken a few pics with it & so far it seems ok.I do tnd to read & reread manuals til I understand things so hopefully I won't have too much of a problem.

Thanks again to both of oyu.
    Good choice Karen! I hope you enjoy it, and who knows, maybe it will lead to bigger and better things in the future.

GL

almo
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Oh yeah! And you better be posting some pics in the galleries with that new camera!

And it wouldn't hurt for you to post a review too. The more the better!

almo
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Oh yeah! And you better be posting some pics in the galleries with that new camera!

And it wouldn't hurt for you to post a review too. The more the better!

almo
    Lol,don't mind posting pics although they're nothing exciting,the most exciting thing is the contents of my new fridge only took them so my Dad could see the new fridge freezer he sent me the money to buy.

As for the review,I don't think I'd be qualified,I have nothing to compare it to,the last camera I used was a disposable one so this is great compared to that,although the batteries were done after only about a dozen photos & a couple of little movies.

Hey we love family shots in the galleries, and as for reviewing, you don't have to compare it to anything. Just say what you think about the one you have. Does it have nice color? Are the images clear and crisp? How easy is it to use? Is it a good size? Does it have a usful zoom range? Do you feel like you got your moneys worth?

These are things that help prospective buyers like yourself decide what camera they want, and every review counts. Don't sell yourself short Karen, for all we know your review may be the one that helps that next "Karen" make up his/her mind.

Happy snapping!

almo
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information