Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Camera advice please . . .

Hiya!

Im going away on holiday with the lads in June, and Im after a decent camera.

My current camera is the Kodak DX3900, which was okay when i got it, but its very slow, expecially when zooming in on pics you have taken.

Ideally I want a very slim camera for probably under £200. 5 Megapixel or higher if possible. I've only ever had Kodak digital camera, so im unsure about who makes the best ones really.

Im not too good on the technical side of things, but hopefully thats where you guys can help!

Cheers.

Re: Camera advice please . . .

Thanks guys.........................

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum Neiluk. Sorry nobody has chimed in with any advice for you yet. I'm not really up to date on the types of cameras that your looking for, so I don't really know what to tell you. I do know some folks that have some of the Kodak DX (I think) models and are pretty happy with them. They are not pros, but more like snapshot shooters.

Can you give us any more info that would help us point you in a certain direction? Is a long zoom range important to you? What types of pics will you be taking?

I know there are some pretty decent p&s digicams out there by Nikon, Canon, Kodak, and a few other companies... Check out the reviews section of this site to get an idea of what others have had to say about dif. camera models.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hello Neiluk...I apologize also for taking so long to answer you. We are very helpful here at PR but occasionally we slip up and someone slips through without notice. Anyway, I have used a Kodak DX4330 for years and it is still my backup camera. I have just upgraded to the Nikon Coolpix 8400 as it offers me a lot of opportunities for learning photography that the kodak didn't. In the post for Beatbox just before yours, I gave him a list that may help you.

1. Read lots of reviews on every camera you may be interested in.
    2. Understand the "type" of photography you want to use your camera for...Landscapes, Macro, Portrait, etc......
    3. Determine if you want a point and shoot, prosumer, or DSLR.
    4. Megapixels are not necessarily as important as sensor size. Do your research!!!
    5. After you have narrowed it down to a couple of cameras, go to an outlet that has the various models you are interested in and "handle" them. Because if you buy something that doesn't feel comfortable, your going to be dissatisfied no matter how good the camera is.
    6. If you still have questions, come back here and "ask more questions and opinions". If you are choosing between the same camera type, then ask questions here or in one of the manufacturer specific forums. [(QUOTE FROM CHUNK)
    When you are handling them in #5, another thing to check out is the menu system - some seem to make better sense to some people than others.]

We are all glad to offer any assistance and advise. Please remember that we all have our preferences and so sometimes you may have to read in between the lines.
    Finally Neiluk, from reading between your lines, you might be interested in a zoom camera so you can get some good closeups of the lads...and you want it fast...look at the Kodak zoom cameras. They're good, with good lenses and are fairly fast. But then again...many of them can say this...
    the big thing is for you to find something you are going to be happy with. Go down to your closest photography store and try out and play with the various cameras...when you find one that meets your needs, it will probably be the one for you. Then, before you buy, choose a couple of cameras, come back here and ask us what we think of each and we will strive to help you make the best choice for what your needs are.
    I hope this helps.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

What's more impoortant Neil, the £200 budget or the size?
    You won't get much zoom while taking the pictures on a slim camera.
    I was impressed by a friend's exilim, the new EX-Z600 looks even better than that one was.
    But I've not actualy used any slimline cameras myself, so I can't personally recommend any.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information