Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Calculating the image dimensions based on MegaPixel value

Hi

Is there a way to find out the largest screen resolution possible given the MegaPixel value of a camera ?

A Nokia model has a 1.3 MegaPixel camera. When downloaded to my PC what would be the image dimensions in pixels ? 1300 x 1000 ?

Thanks

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Calculating the image dimensions based on MegaPixel value

Quote Originally Posted by anjanesh
    Hi

Is there a way to find out the largest screen resolution possible given the MegaPixel value of a camera ?

A Nokia model has a 1.3 MegaPixel camera. When downloaded to my PC what would be the image dimensions in pixels ? 1300 x 1000 ?

Thanks
    It is not that straightforward.

1. The image density, in dpi, depends upon the device you are printing to. For example, the high end Epson photo printers like to see images that are 300 dpi. For an 8x10, you would need 2400 x 3000.You can also print at less than ideal with almost the same results. Many people use 250 dpi. For really high end devices, such as a LightJet, they recommend 400 dpi for the incoming image.

2. The pixels coming out of your camera is not the end of the story. Most photo editing software allows you to use interpolation to increase the native pixel density. Interpolation has gotten a bad name because people grossly overuse it but it is a valid mathematica technique that is used all over the place. So, with your 1.3 MP camera you can get more than 1.3 MP.

In real life, a 1.3 MP camera can match 35mm film at 4x6 and most 5x7. At 8x10 you will see the image breaking down, although not horribly so.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Actually I dont intend on printing the images - just saving it to my PC's folder - and most screens nowdays have 1024x768 or more and was wondering if a 1.3MP image be smaller in dimension when viewed on a 1024x768 res screen.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anjanesh
    Actually I dont intend on printing the images - just saving it to my PC's folder - and most screens nowdays have 1024x768 or more and was wondering if a 1.3MP image be smaller in dimension when viewed on a 1024x768 res screen.
    A monitor is very low res, almost always 72 dpi, a small few are 96 dpi. A 1.3 MP camera is all you need to fill the screen. In fact, you will probably have to make the image smaller to fit.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Yep - 1024 x 768 = 786,432 pixels, or about 0.8 megapixels.

Thread Information