Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Smile buy now or wait?

I would like to know if I should wait to buy a digital camera or purchase one now? I am seriously considering buying a panasonic dmc-fz10 because of the zoom lens but I have heard that some new cameras will be out soon.The panasonic sells for around $1000.00 here in Canada and I thought that maybe something a little cheaper might come along soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you wait for something better, you'll be waiting forever.

If you find one you're happy with now, you will actually use it and maybe take some pics.

So, no camera and waiting, or camera and pictures?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Nert-
    Hope you don't mind but I moved your post. I thought it was a better fit on the Digital Cameras Forum.

To answer your question, there's a big show next week in Las Vegas - PMA. That's one of the main places new cameras make their first appearance. Most of those cameras won't actually be available for a few months though. If you think the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 is going to be a good fit for you, I'd say to buy it. Think about whether it really fits your needs. If it does, there's no point in waiting. Waiting for a better deal or more features is a bad trap to fall into. You'll be waiting forever because prices always go down and there will always be newer and better cameras on the way.

The current crop of 3-5 megapixel compact digitals is really very good for most people. If you're inclined to wait, it's only a few days. But I don't think it should really affect your decision much.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Unhappy Thanks Photo-John

Thanks Photo-John,
    I think I'll wait 'til after the PMA show, like you say it's only a few more days.
    p.s. Don't mind you moving this thread at all. My first time here so you'll have to put up with my stupidity.

No,no, no! It's not stupidity. It's fine. I understand. We don't ever want people to feel stupid when they're on this site. This is a safe place to make mistakes. I make tons!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information