Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Blurry Background Pictures

I always see pictures with one thing in focus and everything else is out of focus. Thes pictures are far distance focusing. Does anyone know how to do this? Do i need a special lens? or a special camera? Is this done with a Telephoto lens? Or can i olny do this with an SLR?

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Blurry Background Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by carman
    I always see pictures with one thing in focus and everything else is out of focus. Thes pictures are far distance focusing. Does anyone know how to do this? Do i need a special lens? or a special camera? Is this done with a Telephoto lens? Or can i olny do this with an SLR?
    It sounds as if you are describing depth of field (DOF). Point and Shoot cameras have such a large DOF (lots of things in focus) that being creative with it is difficult. DSLRs use lenses that can have lots of DOF if the aperture/focal length is chosen correctly.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Michael is correct. Compact digital cameras have a lot more depth-of-field (the area in focus) than SLRs. However, depending on the controls your camera offers, you can try to get a shallower depth-of-field. If your camera has an aperture-priority mode, use that with the largest aperture possible (smallest number, e.g, 3.5 or 2.8). Depth-of-field also depends on the focal length you're using. So using the telephoto end of your lens zoom will help by decreasing the depth-of-field. However, less expensive cameras have apertures that change when you zoom, limiting your ability to control depth-of-field even more.

What camera are you using?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm using the Fuji FinePix E510 it does have some advanced features like aperture-priority, but i never knew what this was for, i'll try it.

Thread Information