Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Bloody Tripods!!

Tripods really annoy me!!!

They just don’t allow you to use your camera properly!, with the same freedom.

Does antibody know of a ingenious/good tripod system that allows you to move around freely?

Ghost

Re: Bloody Tripods!!

One tripod isn't going to be optimal in all situations. There's no magic solution.

Quote Originally Posted by >JJ<

Does antibody know of a ingenious/good tripod system that allows you to move around freely?
    For low light situations I've been using a monopod. It's mobile and when not in use I treat it like a walking stick or collapse it to a quite convenient length.

They're a pain to carry and can alter your shooting style (less spontaneous). But they are a necessity a lot of times, and the only thing I can really tell you is to buy the right one first, rather than buying the wrong one first (a few times, in my case!). Buy one that you'll actually use - it won't do any good sitting at home or in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by billybudd
    For low light situations I've been using a monopod. It's mobile and when not in use I treat it like a walking stick or collapse it to a quite convenient length.
    A monopod, that sounds interesting!

Do you get any shake?

Wonderful things

Quote Originally Posted by >JJ<

When I use a tripod it changes my picture-taking. I do things much more slowly and thoughtfully, take the time to compose things properly, use small aperture and long exposure - I take my time. I usually know what I'm going to do before I set out. The tripod is not a limit to my freedom because I don't have it with me when I'm wandering about.

I have a monopod but I don't use it much. It's much less stable than a tripod - you only gain about 2 shutter speeds. And it's almost as awkward to carry around as a tripod. I just use it when I'm out hiking as a walking stick.

Charles

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Right.

I bought the Manfrotto aluminium alloy because I thought I didn't need carbon fibre for lightness.
    HUH - I KNEW NOTHING
    After walking around the circuit at le Mans for over 24 hours, I definitely DO need lightness

Thread Information