Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Talking Black Screen Problem

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I was looking to see if anyone can help me. I have a Casio Exilim EX-Z4U. Just 2 days ago I simply turned on my camera and while in the record setting, only a black screen showed up. The problem isn't the LCD because the menu & settings are still functionable and I can view pictures I've previously taken. It just seems as though the lens cover isn't open (though it is) Everything else is fully functioning.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how much it costs to fix it. I don't want to take it to a repair shop and be bilked. & if anyone could enlighten me on what could possibly be wrong with it, I'd really appreciate any help!

Thank you very much for reading =]

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Black Screen Problem

Quote Originally Posted by b0ra
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I was looking to see if anyone can help me. I have a Casio Exilim EX-Z4U. Just 2 days ago I simply turned on my camera and while in the record setting, only a black screen showed up. The problem isn't the LCD because the menu & settings are still functionable and I can view pictures I've previously taken. It just seems as though the lens cover isn't open (though it is) Everything else is fully functioning.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how much it costs to fix it. I don't want to take it to a repair shop and be bilked. & if anyone could enlighten me on what could possibly be wrong with it, I'd really appreciate any help!

Thank you very much for reading =]
    My Canon S400 just did the same thing yesterday here at a workshop! I hope its just a low battery, you know, the "saving resources" routine. If its not, I'd like to hear from others as well. My camera is too old to be worth the cost of repair.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I have a Konica Minolta Dimage E 500 and it just did the same thing. I know it wasn't low battery because it had new batteries in it. I even tried putting more new batteries in it and that didn't help. Then I turned it off and when I turned tried to turn it on again it wouldn't even turn on. Guess I need a new camera now.

Can you take new pictures and upload them to the computer? Can you see them there? I would expect the sensor has bought the farm, from your description. But you should try to take a picture and see if there is a file captured, and if the file is good. It's possible that there's just some sort of disconnect between the LCD and the sensor in record mode.

By the way, it's probably not worth repairing. Repairs on digital cameras generally cost so much that it's more cost-effective to just buy a new one. They're somewhat disposable that way.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

good old america, just throw away and buy new.

not saying i don't do it. just saying whats wrong with the world :-)

hope you figure out whats wrong if nto look at it like a mandatory upgrade.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    good old america, just throw away and buy new.

not saying i don't do it. just saying whats wrong with the world :-)
    Yeah, I'm not condoning it either. It's just economics. If it costs over $100 to repair a 3-megapixel camera and you can get a new 6-megapixel camera for $300, might as well get the new one, huh?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information