Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

birthday presents for a photographer?

Can't think of what to get?

Ideally, well under £50 (£50 as an absolute max)

He has some digital camera's Sharp and JVC's if i remember right (I'm not exactly sure so if it is software, preferably it would be software that would work with pretty much any digital camera),.

Was thinking of some kind of useful software which could be used in conjunction with the PC...he doesn't use any software presently, if that helps...

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Liz

Question Not knowing............

what exactly he has, and his needs it's difficult to suggest. However, regarding editing software, I would suggest PSElements2.0. Many people including myself have that software and it's excellent. It has many features (although not as in depth) as Photoshop. It's one of the best you can get IMO - and in the opinion of many others. I think you can get it for about $50. I got mine free with my camera, and paid $50 for a copy about 6 months ago.

Other suggestion would be a memory card (always an appreciated gift) - whatever his camera uses. Or a nice camera bag, extra battery - HOWEVER.......

If it were my birthday, I'd love a gift certificate to B&HPhoto or another camera store so I could make my own choice.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by covalg
    Can't think of what to get?

Ideally, well under £50 (£50 as an absolute max)

He has some digital camera's Sharp and JVC's if i remember right (I'm not exactly sure so if it is software, preferably it would be software that would work with pretty much any digital camera),.

Was thinking of some kind of useful software which could be used in conjunction with the PC...he doesn't use any software presently, if that helps...

Any suggestions?

thanks.
    Last edited by Liz; 03-05-2004 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo

Shopping for photographers is tough. Photography is such a personal thing, each one of us can use a myriad of different tools to achieve the same results. We are very particular about the items we use, and associated accessories, because all these things are familiar and work for us. We all have individual workflows that depend on so many different things. Buying something that will be appreciated and used is not easy for all those reasons. I honestly believe that a gift certificate is the best way to go. Unless I specify an item I never ask for photo related stuff, I discourage it even. No one knows how I work as well as me, and that makes everyone else unqualified to buy stuff for me, which means that I'm likely to return or exchange it, potentially hurting that person's feelings. Now it may just be me, but the other photographers I've met seem just as particular about what they use and why...

I suggest the gift certificate, or a magazine subscription. But don't buy anything that would fit into the person's photographic workflow unless you know EXACTLY what they're looking for.

FO magazines I suggest Shutterbug, PDN, and Outdoor Photographer. THere are others out there but I have not had long-term experience with them.

Good luck!
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information