Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

comparing quality in telephoto lenses

Hi. I have a Sony F717 that I love, and I want to buy a telephoto lens for it. Sony makes one, the VCL-HGD1758, that sells for about $225. Digital Optics also makes one that is marketed as an alternative to the Sony; it sells for about $60.

Is the Sony really that much superior to the Digital Optics? I suspect it is not. I have Sony, Lexar, and Sandisk memory sticks; the Sony was by far the most expensive and the others work equally well. I don't want to shell out that much for the telephoto unless the Sony is hands-down the best. What do you think? Does anyone out there have any experience with Digital Optics lenses? Have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Never Heard of Digital Optics

I've never heard of Digital Optics. That doesn't mean they don't make good stuff, but I'm pretty immersed in the photography world. If I haven't heard of them, that probably means something.

When you invested in your DSC 717, part of what you paid for was that Zeiss lens. Why would you want to compromise it by putting a $60 piece of glass in front of it? Good lenses are the most expensive part of photography. If it were me, I'd feel much better about paying for the Sony lens that was made specifically to match and compliment the Zeiss lens on the camera. That said, I understand what you're saying about the memory. And I doubt the telelphoto converter is made by Zeiss. If you're looking for alternatives, there are at least two well-known lens manufacturers making third-party converters. Check out Kenko and Tiffen and see if they make anything to fit your camera. You might be able to save some money and even get something better. But I'd stay away from Digital Optics. $60 just isn't enough for good glass.

Here's a link to the digital converter lens reviews on this site. Even if there aren't that many reviews (everyone post one!) there are links to the manufacturer sites and dealers in the reviews. You can use those links to see what's available for your camera.

Hope that helps. And remember - never compromise when it comes to lenses!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the advice

I've decided to go with the Sony. You're right about the Zeiss lens. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've never heard of Digital Optics. That doesn't mean they don't make good stuff, but I'm pretty immersed in the photography world. If I haven't heard of them, that probably means something.

When you invested in your DSC 717, part of what you paid for was that Zeiss lens. Why would you want to compromise it by putting a $60 piece of glass in front of it? Good lenses are the most expensive part of photography. If it were me, I'd feel much better about paying for the Sony lens that was made specifically to match and compliment the Zeiss lens on the camera. That said, I understand what you're saying about the memory. And I doubt the telelphoto converter is made by Zeiss. If you're looking for alternatives, there are at least two well-known lens manufacturers making third-party converters. Check out Kenko and Tiffen and see if they make anything to fit your camera. You might be able to save some money and even get something better. But I'd stay away from Digital Optics. $60 just isn't enough for good glass.

Here's a link to the digital converter lens reviews on this site. Even if there aren't that many reviews (everyone post one!) there are links to the manufacturer sites and dealers in the reviews. You can use those links to see what's available for your camera.

Hope that helps. And remember - never compromise when it comes to lenses!

Thread Information