Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Best Macro Camera?

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap (under $500), compact/semi-compact digital camera with a large display that can take very good macro photos - I need to be able to get very close to the object - usually really small plants, around 1/2" in diameter.

I've been using an ancient Kodak DC215 with adaptor and 7x plus 10x macro lenses and it was great at the time, but it won't do anymore. I just bought a Nikon Coolpix P4 on a friend's recommendation but it doesn't get close enough and the lens sticks out and ends up casting a major shadow when the flash is in use. I'm returning it. So....

I went to 2 stores and tried out everything I could get my hands on, and so far, these look promising:

Canon Powershot SD700IS
    Olympus SP320
    Sony DSC-H2

All of these have a macro focus range of 2cm. I'm wondering what else has this range or can get closer? It's ok if it needs a special adaptor and lenses, as long as they don't cost a lot.

Olympus told me their SP700 gets 1cm away, but I can't find any photos on their site or anywhere else. (!! - is that any way to sell a camera?!)

If you have any additional suggestions / feedback, I'd be REALLY appreciative.

Also, if you've got a camera you think might do the job, please post pics here.

THANKS!

drg

Re: Best Macro Camera?

Sorry no one has responded before!

There are two sets of possible answers to this post.

One, resolving some of the inherent issues related to macro photography and two, what camera best suits your needs.

The lighting and shadow issue can be resolved with extra light(s) and reflectors. Even a product box where the all the surfaces are translucent and light evenly diffuses over the product. In this case, it sounds as if you are shooting flora up close and in a less than 'perfect' environment. Thus, reflectors and extra light may be the first key to overcoming shadows! A ring flash might even be required to get the extra light right down into the flower in some cases. This could be a camera consideration as well.

A good tripod will also be invaluable. The better the image, the more you can use it enlarged. A tripod with low (reversed head) level capability or variable angle legs and supports (Benbo make some very interesting combos) will further the ability to get the right camera and lighting orientation. This may set you back $200+ but is necessary for this type of photography.

A 5 mp+ camera will let you make a very acceptable 8x10 of the half-inch portion of the image. A camera shooting in raw will only improve the ability to get the color, size, and overall quality you need.

For lens quality and general macro features, including a timer and remote capabilities, many Canon p/s are very good performers. The galleries here at Photography Review will provide several examples. There are other contenders as you have found and you can find many examples with minimal net searching. I would recommend really looking at what each camera can produce and see if it meets your criteria.

The large display can be a fooler. A small item may still need a computer to fully evaluate the image. It certainly will depend upon the result required.

I have used a Canon G5 and G6 for macro work for some time. Both are great performers but slightly above your budget. If this is a money making project, or an investment project the G6 (the newer of two) might be worth looking at. The 'A' series cameras from Canon produce some very fine macros (equal to the G’s) images. There are numerous samples in the galleries from both these series in Macro/Detail and Macro/Close Up to name just two galleries.

The Olympus cameras that really perform in the Macro mode (8000 series) are far more expensive though they have some great lenses.

Please feel free to ask more questions and refine what information you are seeking.

Best Wishes
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information