Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Best digital camera for b&w stills under $600

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My previous camera is a Minolta Maxxum 7000 from 1985. I've always developed the film and photographs myself. If I can get a digital camera that's notably better than that (I no longer have access to a dark room or the money to keep spending on the materials necessary for one.)
    I'd prefer to not spend more than $600. If I can spend less than that, even better.

I'll be making black and white images to be printed at gallery quality, so I suspect I'll always shoot in RAW, based on what I've read.

I don't care about video.

I'll primarily be shooting close and macro shots, but will also be doing some portraiture. I often use a tripod. High-speed shots aren't very important to me.

I generally hate flashes. I use natural light and (occasionally) studio light.

I'd appreciate lens recommendations as well, even if you're just recommending that I take a kit lens.

Thanks!
    Last edited by valzi; 02-13-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Re: Best digital camera for b&w stills under $600

Here is the List of the Cameras that are released in 2014 and are under $500. Compact Digital Cameras Released in 2014 | iCameraPhotography
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

I suggest that you look for a nice, used Sony A700 (cropped sensor) or A850/900 (35 mm sensors). These three are very nice 'traditional' camera bodies that will take your current Minolta Maxxum lenses. I think that you would be extremely happy with any of these. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm leaning toward a D90 or a D5100 now after getting advice from elsewhere as well.

Don't underestimate Terry's advice regarding being able to use your existing lenses.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

I only have one lens for that camera, and it's worth about $70 and doesn't focus as close as I would prefer. It's a Minolta 50mm f1.7 AF Lens.

Got it. Have a look at the Nikon d3200. It's within your budget as well.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

I think you should go for Canon EOS 600D which is a compact, 18MP, lightweight digital SLR that makes capturing exciting, fun and creative images easier than ever.

Frankly, if you are looking to shoot B&W the best camera is going to be Photoshop.

DSLR's as you have read will shoot Raw files. You are better off shooting in Raw and creating the B&W photo in post processing than shooting in jpg and letting the camera do it. Doesn't sound like you need a lot in the way of features so any DSLR should do what you want.

The way to find the best camera buy under your budget, you should first consider the exact camera type you are looking for.You can get all of the major brand within your budget.

Thanks
    ThermalCamerasInc

Yeah, It was true. We have a wide range of camera's in different brands at your budget

I bought a Nikon D5100 and a 40mm Nikkor lens, thanks to very detailed advice and discussion on photo.net forums. Thanks for trying to help!

Good for you. Enjoy your new camera and lens. Give us an update after you have used your new gear for a while.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Well, here's an update after having not used the camera and lens very long at all yet. I'm very much enjoying the usage range and quality of my lens and I'm feeling very comfortable with the body and it's interface. For low-light photography (which will often be event photography in my usage), I use auto ISO with an upper limit of 6400 but might need to drop that to 3200 soon. I wish my lens was faster/brighter, but I still prefer it as my main lens to faster ones I've read about. I switched to back button auto-focusing, which I hadn't heard of before but am liking very much because it allows me to use manual most of the time with minimal effort to switch back to auto, which is important for moving subjects when not using zone focus.

You can see my results so far in Flickr. You'll have to Google "valzi flickr" because I can't post links here.

I'm much happier with most of the more recent photos than the older ones, because I've become more serious and careful as I've become more comfortable and fluent with my D5100. (My favorites are the onions and the wooden landscape. I'll be deleting most of these after a bit, when my style sets back in and I'm technically competent.)

I prefer this one Canon PowerShot G16 f1.8 12.1MP according to your budget!!

Canon EOS 600D or Nikon D3200. Very useful. I think that you would be happy with any of these

old film cameras will not recording video

Quote Originally Posted by haint View Post
    old film cameras will not recording video
    100% off topic and much too late, even if what you said made sense.

Liz

Congratulations on your camera (belated)....and especially on being so happy with it. I love b&w photography. Since I have a back/neck problem from an old car accident, I can't spend a lot of time on the computer as it gets painful. So....I shoot in b&w - and choose cameras that give me that option. Besides, for me it's more fun!

Enjoy - and thanks for posting the updates.

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Canon EOS 600d is best..

Digibroadcast Co. Ltd.

Congratulation for Canon EOS 600d but i suggest Canon PowerShot G16 f1.8 12.1MP is amazing with good configuration and it comes around your budget so you can.. if you are then...

Thread Information