Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Best Compact Digital Cameras

Hi Guys,
    I am currently shopping for a new compact digital camera and I am trying to find out what is the best one on the market.
    I have heard Sony Nex-5 is most popular and has the highest reviews.
    What do you think?
    My biggest concern is the range of apperture and being able to take sharp pics at night (which my current, Samsung WB500 camera does not do).
    Let me know please.
    Magda

Re: Best Compact Digital Cameras

"Best" means different things for different people and different kinds of photography. The Sony NEX is certainly a very good cameras and it gets great reviews. I'm not sure if it gets the highest reviews, though. Technically it's an "EVIL" (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) or compact system camera and very different from the Samsung you've been using. I haven't used the Sony NEX yet, but here's a detailed introductory article I wrote about it: http://reviews.photographyreview.com...ble-lens-alpha

Your Samsung has a very small sensor - about the size of your little fingernail. The Sony has the same size sensor as an entry-level or prosumer digital SLR. That sensor makes all the difference in the world when it comes to image quality. It will give you much better image quality - especially in low light. However, night photography is difficult no matter what camera you're using. Learning to use the correct settings will make a huge difference, too.

So, yes - the Sony NEX-5 is a much better camera than the Samsung WB500. We have a dedicated forum for EVIL cameras. If that's the way you want to go you should probably post there and also take a look at the alternative EVIL cameras from Olympus Panasonic and Samsung. Here's a link to the EVIL & Micro Four Thirds forum: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=62
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information