Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

beginner needs help

Hi
    I am new to cameras. I am often out taking photos of people at events (dinners, golfing stuff). I currently use the pentax optio 60. It's crap. the camera never is on the right setting and I dont know how to get it on the right setting and when i put it on automatic setting all of my photos look bad. I need to find a camera that is simple to understand and use, has a lot of mp (6 plus) and can get great lighting and stuff. It must produce crisp photos for online and print use. It must be able to take photos fast as well!
    any ideas?
    thanks.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: beginner needs help

Hello Pilgrim and Welcome to PR. I doubt if I'm going to help you much. This is a tough question to answer without knowing a little bit more of your needs and how much you have to spend. Some questions that will help us are:
    1. How much do you have to spend?
    2. Do you want to stay with a point and shoot or do you want to switch to a SLR (digital or film)?
    3. How much of a learning curve are you willing to put into a new camera?
    4. How much experience do you have with cameras.
    Sounds to me like you are shooting in both bright light and low light. A point and shoot can work in these situations, but are limited. With SLR's your going to have to invest in some lenses, but will give you the greatest versatility.
    All of that being said, maybe you can elaborate a little more on your needs and $$$.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim
    Hi
    I am new to cameras. I am often out taking photos of people at events (dinners, golfing stuff). I currently use the pentax optio 60. It's crap. the camera never is on the right setting and I dont know how to get it on the right setting and when i put it on automatic setting all of my photos look bad. I need to find a camera that is simple to understand and use, has a lot of mp (6 plus) and can get great lighting and stuff. It must produce crisp photos for online and print use. It must be able to take photos fast as well!
    any ideas?
    thanks.

Welcome Pilgrim,

First off, this may sound rude, it's not intended to be, but did you read your cameras manual? Just putting the camera on "Auto" won't guarantee good photos. You have to have the correct settings for the lighting your shooting in.
    Post some photos so we can see whats going on and then maybe we can help you out. Also, make sure to read your camera manual, it may answer some of your questions too.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Pentax Optio 60 specifications
    lens / zoom 36 mm - 108 mm (3x) (dig 4x)
    focus / macro auto / 50 cm / 5 cm
    metering mode center-weighted, spot
    aperture auto | manual / F2.8 - F4.8
    white balance auto / 5 presets
    shutter auto | manual / 2s - 1/1000s
    exposure +/- 2EV in 1/3EV steps
    flash / mode internal - 4 modes / 0.5m - 3.8m
    viewfinder optical
    iso ratings 64/ 100 / 200
    image size 2848x2136 / 2272x1704 / 1600x1200 / 640 x 480
    image format jpeg (exif2.2)
    image compr. good / better / best
    lag/cycle times
    remote control self-timer
    video options avi 320x240 (20fps)
    audio options wav
    connectivity usb / video (NTSC / PAL)
    storage 12 MB internal, SD
    platform Windows 98(SE)/2000/ME/XP, Mac OS 9.0+
    extra features PictBridge compatible

Thespecs look OK.. Set you camera on Manuel and take some photos with different apeture settings in bright daylight.overcast,dusk,idoor moderate light,outside dark etc and write down everything you did so you can compare. Apeture setting and shutter speed and make notes. You will soon betakeing good picture.Learn to use and master Manuel mode first...

Thread Information