Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Liz

Question Anyone have the Canon A80? Help!

Hi Everyone,
    I'm basically settled on the A80 as my carry-with-me--don't-miss-a-photo-op camera. There are only 2 reviews here, and I'd like more input. The price has recently gone down to $359 (actually I wanted to spend a little less -like $300). However, I can live with that if I know it's going to give me good results, especially good optics. One concern includes: "some slight purple fringing at times (I know this is mentioned in other camera reviews so I guess it's not just the A80).

Other cameras checked out & eliminated due to less features/price/complaints.
    S50 - mostly price & no flexible LCD, shorter zoom, don't need 5mp.
    A70 - not as many features, and very wide angle. However good price $270.
    S400 - too small, lack of manual controls, no flexible LCD
    Refurbished Nikon 4300 & 4500 (B&H) - reviews with complaints of some poor optics
    Olympus C-740 - some complaints of poor optics, especially with zoom

I'm probably going to go with the A80, but really would like more input, especially if someone knows the camera.

Thanks!

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 02-06-2004 at 07:16 AM. Reason: add a comment

Hello Liz.. I have a new A80 ( 4 days old). Still studying the instructions. I found interesting information and photos at www.albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index.html and have several emails with Albert Yang. His info helped me decide to buy the A80. Have not yet taken an image with it, so can't be much help other than provide you with preceding info. Best to you. kcp

Liz

Unhappy Kawavulcan.......regarding website

I clicked into the link you provided, but got an error message - no such website.

Is it possible there is a typo? Thanks for your help. Let me know how you do with the camera. I'm still going back & forth between the A80 and the S50. Thanks. I used to have the G2, and am considering getting another used one. Should have kept it!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Kawavulcan
    Hello Liz.. I have a new A80 ( 4 days old). Still studying the instructions. I found interesting information and photos at www.albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index.html and have several emails with Albert Yang. His info helped me decide to buy the A80. Have not yet taken an image with it, so can't be much help other than provide you with preceding info. Best to you. kcp

Forget about it...

Liz,

ALL cameras exhibit purple fringing. On areas of high contrast, white on black for example, there can be a slight purple fringe. This is due to the way the light diffracts through the lens and how it hits the sensor. It is a very, very minor problem.

My Sony 717 had it, my F100 had it, my N80 had it, and both of my D100s have it. It changes with lenses, but it's always apparent to one extent or another.

In film terms I think it's reffered to as Chromatic Aberration.

Don't worry, take pictures...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

Thanks Seb.........

yes, after much reading of critiques for various digital cameras, I've seen that complaint lots of times.

I may go for the A70 - only $260 since Canon already came out with 3 new point & shoot cameras, so I don't want to spend $400 as the prices may begin coming down.

Thanks.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Liz,

ALL cameras exhibit purple fringing. On areas of high contrast, white on black for example, there can be a slight purple fringe. This is due to the way the light diffracts through the lens and how it hits the sensor. It is a very, very minor problem.

My Sony 717 had it, my F100 had it, my N80 had it, and both of my D100s have it. It changes with lenses, but it's always apparent to one extent or another.

In film terms I think it's reffered to as Chromatic Aberration.

Don't worry, take pictures...

Why stop there?

I am eyeing the A60, a good friend has one, we made 8x10 that looked great to me; It lacks resolution, but for grab shots....plus since it's 2MP a 128 meg CF card goes a LONG way...
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz: The site as indicated in my last is correct. Try www.albert.achtung.com and go from there. Albert shows results of CA test he ran on his A80. Howsomeever; he does state that if you are AOL forget it. He is in Taiwan, and for some reason, perhaps his ISP, he cannot communicate with AOL users. Albert defines some program settings for modes C1 and C2, which he says gives one a " draw and shoot" capability. I think you will benefit from his info, (13 pages) even if you do not go with the A80. I will be pleased to copy them and send them to you if you so desire.... I will also probably buy the Ricoh G4 Wide, and seriously consider the Minolta DSLR (A2 ?) when it arrives. The A80 and G4 will be useful for me in travel; 'specially when riding the motorcycle. Take care; and best to you. kcp

Impossible!

I didn't think it was possible to have a brand new digicam and not try it out once, even after FOUR days? What's wrong, Kawa?!? Did it not include a memory card? ;) Put down the manual and start shooting!

Spike

Smile

Nothing is impossible, Spike...I still have not snapped an image. Maybe tomorrow. It is called self-discipline. Additionally, passing years have diminished my ability to absorb technical information.....and the user instructions are not as definitive as they once were. Also, in today's climate, we gray beards stay busily involved in our childrens' daily challenges, so our time is limited. Finally, the weather here is not favorable...the grass is brown, the trees are bare; there is no scent of roses in the air, and the green has not broken through the vernal thaws....so what's the hurry ?? Spring are not yet sprung.... kcp

Nothing is impossible, Spike...I still have not snapped an image. Maybe tomorrow. It is called self-discipline. Additionally, passing years have diminished my ability to absorb technical information.....and the user instructions are not as definitive as they once were. Also, in today's climate, we gray beards stay busily involved in our childrens' daily challenges, so our time is limited. Finally, the weather here is not favorable...the grass is brown, the trees are bare; there is no scent of roses in the air, and the green has not broken through the vernal thaws....so what's the hurry ?? Spring are not yet sprung.... kcp
    Although I appreciate your patience, in the long run it can only hurt you. Digitals can have flaws that are difficult to dig out, only by shooting a lot in just about every feasible environment can you be sure the camera is not a dud or does not have some sort of flaw. Although unlikely, it does happen and can have more efect on your photos than might at first be apparent.

Shoot as much as you can before the return/exchange window runs out. My first DSLR had a defective CCD, and it took almost 500 shots before I started noticing anything suspicious.

Enjoy it, I love the Ax0 series from Canon.
    -Seb

My website

Point well taken, Sebastian....and one reason I was careful in shopping. I have 30 days to burn it in. I usually forego a slight savings in $$$, in favor of extended return time. I did not, however, think that it could take a much as 500 snaps to discover a flaw. Thank you. I captured some images last night, and will download them today maybe. Having a tooth out first, and it is a dreary day here. You have a recommendation for software ? I now have HP which came with my all-in-one printer 2210. Seems sufficient for my needs, but have not yet used to download photos. Finally, "usta live in Chicago"...actually in Glen Elynn, back in the ' 70s. Good friend and former shipmate lives in Palatine. Thanks again. kcp

Point well taken, Sebastian....and one reason I was careful in shopping. I have 30 days to burn it in. I usually forego a slight savings in $$$, in favor of extended return time. I did not, however, think that it could take a much as 500 snaps to discover a flaw. Thank you. I captured some images last night, and will download them today maybe. Having a tooth out first, and it is a dreary day here. You have a recommendation for software ? I now have HP which came with my all-in-one printer 2210. Seems sufficient for my needs, but have not yet used to download photos. Finally, "usta live in Chicago"...actually in Glen Elynn, back in the ' 70s. Good friend and former shipmate lives in Palatine. Thanks again. kcp
    I'm the same way, spending a little bit more is worth it if they take care of you when you need them to.

What sort of software do you need? There are many packages that download and catalog images and do it better than the included software. ACDSee is a popular one, although I prefer Photoshop Album, it just seems taylor-made for the way I organize things.

BTW, I work in Glendale Heights, about ten minutes north of Glen Ellyn. Been in this area almost the entire time I've been in the US, after living in Palatine when I first came here.

Enjoy the camera!
    Last edited by Sebastian; 02-10-2004 at 09:50 AM.
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I am eyeing the A60, a good friend has one, we made 8x10 that looked great to me; It lacks resolution, but for grab shots....plus since it's 2MP a 128 meg CF card goes a LONG way...
    I just picked up the A60 sunday. Best Buy is selling them for $170 and they give you a $25 gift card so it came to a little over $150 with tax. I kind of wanted something with more MP's but for the price and the features the camera has I couldn't pass it up. I got it mostly for the web and I figure it'll be a lot of fun to let my young nieces and nephews use at family get togethers.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    I just picked up the A60 sunday. Best Buy is selling them for $170 and they give you a $25 gift card so it came to a little over $150 with tax. I kind of wanted something with more MP's but for the price and the features the camera has I couldn't pass it up. I got it mostly for the web and I figure it'll be a lot of fun to let my young nieces and nephews use at family get togethers.
    Mike
    Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll pick one up this week. I've had my eye on that thing for almost a year now.
    -Seb

My website

Hi Liz,

I have an A80 that I like very much. The image quality is quite good, and purple fringing hasn't been a problem for me (although I haven't printed up anything really big.)

The very long battery life (with 4 AA 2000mAh rechargables), nice controls/ layout, and flip out screen are all very nice features of this camera. I am surprised at how much I use the flip out screen for candids and new angles. It is responsive for a P&S camera, but obviously can't compare to an SLR. Prefocusing makes all the difference.

One thing to consider, especially if you already have a nice SLR for taking "serious shots", is that the size of a carry around camera may be more important than some manual controls. I had a digital Elph that I carried around with me everywhere, even if I was just running out "for a minute." I find that the slightly larger cameras make me hesitate from time to time. Shocking, I know. If you do get the A80, I think that you will be happy with it. It is a choice between good things. ;)

Good luck!

Liz

Cool Going backwards is sometimes OK

After all the research, etc. and almost purchasing the A80, I took a step backwards so to speak and bought a refurbished G2. I said a "step backward" because I previously owned & sold a G2. Today, I found an excellent deal on the G2 with manufacturer 90 day warranty + bought an extended 4 yr. Mack warranty.

I was always pleased with the results from the G2 - great optics. It's not as compact as some, but I like the grip. What I mostly like about it is the Aperture is 2.0 vs 2.8 that come with many digital cameras (except the G's). I also like the bright/flexible 1.8 LCD screen. So......the search is ended, I'm happy - and I'm back to Square I with the G2 again! ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm basically settled on the A80 as my carry-with-me--don't-miss-a-photo-op camera. There are only 2 reviews here, and I'd like more input. The price has recently gone down to $359 (actually I wanted to spend a little less -like $300). However, I can live with that if I know it's going to give me good results, especially good optics. One concern includes: "some slight purple fringing at times (I know this is mentioned in other camera reviews so I guess it's not just the A80).

Other cameras checked out & eliminated due to less features/price/complaints.
    S50 - mostly price & no flexible LCD, shorter zoom, don't need 5mp.
    A70 - not as many features, and very wide angle. However good price $270.
    S400 - too small, lack of manual controls, no flexible LCD
    Refurbished Nikon 4300 & 4500 (B&H) - reviews with complaints of some poor optics
    Olympus C-740 - some complaints of poor optics, especially with zoom

I'm probably going to go with the A80, but really would like more input, especially if someone knows the camera.

Thanks!

Liz

Hi Guys....The problem is it's not a www site.

Try http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index.html

Liz, it's not AOL !

Liz

Talking Thanks Lara..........good

to see you around!

I really thought it was aol this time!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Hi Guys....The problem is it's not a www site.

Try http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index.html

Liz, it's not AOL !

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    to see you around!

I really thought it was aol this time!

Liz
    Thank you Liz,

During my daily work I always stop here. I kind of get lost in the photos and have to remind myself to get back to work!!

....and I wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't AOL!!!!!

Thread Information