Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Do I Need a Filter?

I have a Panasonic Lumix G3 with the kit 14-42 mm lens. I have been thinking about getting a filter, maybe a polarizing filter. And I remember from many years ago, a popular filter was called a haze cutter. Or maybe just something to protect the lens?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Nod

Re: Do I Need a Filter?

I never heard of a "haze cutter" filter but a polarizing filter has its uses (basically when the sun is 90 degrees to you. I do not use any filters for protection. I might use a UV filter if I was shooting in an area where there was sand blowing around, but otherwise no.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The haze cutter is probably just another term for a uv filter. Not needed on a digital camera.
    Polarizing filter is needed in some situations...I would suggest a graduated one that rotates.
    The good ones are pricey but the cheap ones are just putting poor quality in front of the fine optics of the lens.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

The haze filter was/is a UV filter with some blue removed as well. Sort of like a Skylight. It does nothing for real haze (particles in the air). The "haze" being blocked is the fogging of film due to excessive UV and blue (like at altitude). Not needed at all with a digital camera.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Thanks for the replies. The "haze cutter" was from film camera days. I didn't realize it wasn't for atmospheric haze. I guess I will take a look at a polarizing filter.

Any brand recommendations?

Thanks, Jim

I rarely use a polarizer. Instead of a UV just put your lens hood on for protection. The most used filter I have is a two stop ND grad.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information