Do I Need a Filter?

Printable View

• 06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
    hawkeye62
    Do I Need a Filter?
    I have a Panasonic Lumix G3 with the kit 14-42 mm lens. I have been thinking about getting a filter, maybe a polarizing filter. And I remember from many years ago, a popular filter was called a haze cutter. Or maybe just something to protect the lens?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
  • 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
    Nod
    Re: Do I Need a Filter?
    I never heard of a "haze cutter" filter but a polarizing filter has its uses (basically when the sun is 90 degrees to you. I do not use any filters for protection. I might use a UV filter if I was shooting in an area where there was sand blowing around, but otherwise no.
  • 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
    Frog
    The haze cutter is probably just another term for a uv filter. Not needed on a digital camera.
    Polarizing filter is needed in some situations...I would suggest a graduated one that rotates.
    The good ones are pricey but the cheap ones are just putting poor quality in front of the fine optics of the lens.
  • 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
    mwfanelli2
    The haze filter was/is a UV filter with some blue removed as well. Sort of like a Skylight. It does nothing for real haze (particles in the air). The "haze" being blocked is the fogging of film due to excessive UV and blue (like at altitude). Not needed at all with a digital camera.
  • 06-30-2012, 08:03 AM
    hawkeye62
    Thanks for the replies. The "haze cutter" was from film camera days. I didn't realize it wasn't for atmospheric haze. I guess I will take a look at a polarizing filter.

Any brand recommendations?

Thanks, Jim
  • 07-01-2012, 06:04 AM
    Greg McCary
    I rarely use a polarizer. Instead of a UV just put your lens hood on for protection. The most used filter I have is a two stop ND grad.